Finally made these little goodies and, as it turns out, the flavors are really great together. I only wish I'd tried them sooner.
You can roll this mixture into individual cheeseballs like I did, or form it into one log or ball. No matter what you choose, this is a pretty quick appetizer that you can make ahead of time. Just hold the mixture in the fridge until almost ready to serve. At that point, you can shape the mixture and roll it in the almonds.
Smoky Spicy Garlicky Goat CheeseballsMakes 16 mini cheeseballs
1 1/4 c spicy smoked almonds (I used Blue Diamond Jalapeno Smokehouse almonds)
8 oz light cream cheese, softened
4 oz goat cheese
1 Tbsp light mayonnaise
1 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped
4 cloves roasted garlic, chopped
1/8 tsp salt (+ more to taste)
1/4 tsp pepper (+ more to taste)
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/8 tsp ground chipotle powder (or add a few drops of your favorite hot sauce)
1/2 c parmesan, grated
1/2 c sharp cheddar, grated
olive or canola oil spray
- Put almonds in a zippered bag and smash with a meat mallet or rolling pin until they're in small pieces, but not completely pulverized. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Using a handheld mixer or stand mixer, mix the goat cheese, cream cheese and mayo on low speed until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- dd the chives, garlic and spices and beat on low speed until combined.
- Mix in the parmesan and cheddar cheeses at low speed until combined.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes or more.
- Spray hands with oil and roll cheese mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls.
- Roll each cheeseball in the almonds until coated.