Sunday, August 14, 2011

Smoky Spicy Garlicky Goat Cheeseballs

The idea for this recipe has been rolling around in my head for over a year now. I wondered how tangy goat cheese, mellow roasted garlic and onion-y chives would pair with spicy smoked almonds.

Finally made these little goodies and, as it turns out, the flavors are really great together. I only wish I'd tried them sooner.


You can roll this mixture into individual cheeseballs like I did, or form it into one log or ball. No matter what you choose, this is a pretty quick appetizer that you can make ahead of time. Just hold the mixture in the fridge until almost ready to serve. At that point, you can shape the mixture and roll it in the almonds.

Smoky Spicy Garlicky Goat Cheeseballs

Makes 16 mini cheeseballs

1 1/4 c spicy smoked almonds (I used Blue Diamond Jalapeno Smokehouse almonds)
8 oz light cream cheese, softened
4 oz goat cheese
1 Tbsp light mayonnaise
1 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped
4 cloves roasted garlic, chopped
1/8 tsp salt (+ more to taste)
1/4 tsp pepper (+ more to taste)
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/8 tsp ground chipotle powder (or add a few drops of your favorite hot sauce)
1/2 c parmesan, grated
1/2 c sharp cheddar, grated
olive or canola oil spray

  1. Put almonds in a zippered bag and smash with a meat mallet or rolling pin until they're in small pieces, but not completely pulverized. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
  2. Using a handheld mixer or stand mixer, mix the goat cheese, cream cheese and mayo on low speed until smooth and thoroughly combined.
  3. dd the chives, garlic and spices and beat on low speed until combined.
  4. Mix in the parmesan and cheddar cheeses at low speed until combined.
  5. Taste and adjust seasonings.
  6. Refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes or more.
  7. Spray hands with oil and roll cheese mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls.
  8. Roll each cheeseball in the almonds until coated.
Serve chilled or at room temperature with crackers, bread, and/or veggies.




6 red beans:

Sarah said...

That flavor combo sounds so different and amazing. I want a party now so I can make these.

Make a Roux said...

Thanks, Sarah! If you're like me, any time is party time. :D

Penny said...

Saw this post and your wonderful picture and my mouth literally started to water. I'm with Sarah...I want to have a party so I can serve these!

zoesays.com said...

This looks and sounds SO good. Forwarding to my culinary man so we can make these soon!

Steve niklas said...

nice blog checkout mine on

http://www.onjokes.blogspot.com

feel free to leave a comment

Syed Zeeshan Ali said...

You and Your website seem very yummy!!! I love chocolate!
Technology, Free Software and Best Tutorial
your blog is good! I'll visit again :)
God Bless You

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...