Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Deepwater Horizon Disaster - One Year Later

On April 20, 2010, the Deepwater Horizon rig exploded, killing 11 men, spewing untold amounts of oil into the Gulf of Mexico, killing wildlife and destroying the livelihoods of many in the seafood and tourism industries.

Considering I'm far away from my homeland, I am usually thrilled beyond belief on the rare occasions when beloved places like Venice show up in the national news. However, in the weeks and months following the explosion, I saw way more of Venice on TV than I ever wanted to. :[

And today of all days, BP announced it that it is suing the maker of the rig's blowout preventer.

I have mixed feelings on that one. While I certainly want EVERYONE (BP, TransOcean, Halliburton, etc.) involved in this mess to be brought to justice and made to pay, it just seems odd that BP waited this long to file suit. (Can you say finger-pointing/stall-tactic?) Not to mention, it's in pretty poor taste for BP to have announced this legal action on the one year anniversary of the explosion.

Real nice move, BP. :[

==
Read my thoughts from one year ago:
Do You Know What it Means to Miss the Gulf Coast?

4 red beans:

Tracey from Central Coast Seachange said...

Love your website and there's no bbq chickens ala PW anywhere.

Make a Roux said...

Thanks, Tracey! Yes, it's true. No channeling PW here! ;P

A Cajun Down Under said...

Tracey me a link to your blog, and I'm so glad she did. Isn't if funny that no matter where in the world we go, we all bring a bit of Louisiana with us?

Make a Roux said...

Cajun Down Under - So glad to have found your blog. Thanks for stopping in. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...