Thursday, February 3, 2011

Friday Cocktail - 'Lectric Carrot with Sechuan Buttons!

PLEASE VOTE for my cocktail invention! Go here and vote for me!  

Recently, I was contacted by Marx Foods to participate in their Electric Mixology contest. The Electric Mixology contest is being held to spread the word about a product that Marx Foods carries -- the Sechuan button.


Having never heard of a Sechuan button before, I did some quick Googling and found that the button is the flower of Spilanthes Acmella, also known as "toothache plant" because of its pain relieving properties.

Tasting a Sechuan button gives your tongue a little tingle, followed by a little numbing sensation and some cooling in the throat. Cool, for sure!

For my contest entry, I paired my buttons with carrot juice for its electric color and with some fresh ginger for a hint of warm spice. The result was a tasty drink that let the electricity of the buttons come through.

You can find Sechuan buttons and other exotic ingredients at www.marxfoods.com.

Please come back starting on Feb 7 for a link where you can vote for my drink in the Electric Mixology contest!


'Lectric Carrot

Combine the following in a martini shaker:
1 shot vodka
1 shot triple sec
1 shot carrot juice
1 shot grapefruit juice
1/2 tsp grated ginger
2 Szechuan buttons

Use an immersion blender to blend the Szechuan buttons completely into the cocktail mixture.
Add ice to fill the shaker.
Shake until icy cold.
Pour into a martini glass.
Garnish with a slice of ginger and an additional Szechuan button.
ZING!

5 red beans:

Sarah said...

Such a pretty drink. I could use some Sechuan Buttons for this cold.

Kristina said...

That's really neat. I'll have to try blending the buttons!

Make a Roux said...

Thank you, Sarah! I love carrot and ginger. The sechuan buttons add a nice element of tingle!

Make a Roux said...

Hi Kristina, the buttons do seem to add a little zing in the drink, but your idea of eating the flower while drinking is the best!

Rebecka said...

Wonderful drink for the contest! I love the idea of carrot and ginger! Happy to be competing with you! best of luck!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...