This month, I've become increasingly homesick for Louisiana and for all the fun that the Mardi Gras season entails. At the risk of repeating myself year after year, some of the best things about Mardi Gras are:
- eating King Cake—Pure sugar-high yumminess!
- listening to Mardi Gras music—Professor Longhair, Stop, Inc., The Wild Magnolias, etc.
- waiting for the parade—Someone in your party must get there early with the coolers and the lawnchair/ladder contraptions.
- catching beads and trinkets of every kind—Just shout, "Throw me somethin', mistah!" and you shall receive!
- watching the parade-goers—There are always interesting people to see. And, no, I don't mean women flashing their goods.
- drinking from go-cups—Sure, you can drink on da parade route, but you can't have glassware or bottles.
Brandy Milk Punch
1 1/2 c crushed ice
1 shot brandy
1/2 oz dark rum
1 tsp pure double-strength vanilla (please don't use that McCormick crap)
3 oz milk
1 oz light agave nectar or simple syrup (agave nectar is not traditional, but I love it in this punch)
Place the ice in a glass (or, in the case of today's post, your favorite go-cup). Pour all ingredients into a shaker glass. Stir well to combine. Pour into the glass or go-cup. Grate some nutmeg on top. Now, go catch some beads!