Friday, January 7, 2011

Friday Mocktail - Berry Crush

Friday afternoon is typically cocktail time at my house. This week, I'm continuing with my resolution to give Mr. Liver a break from alcohol in the month of January.

Then, what's a girl to do at cocktail time on a Friday afternoon? Make a mocktail, that's what!

The best mocktails are usually made with fresh ingredients, so I grabbed some blackberries and oranges and went to work. The Peychaud's Bitters add a teensy amount of alcohol, but I'm not going to split hairs over it.

If you hate blackberry seeds and love sticky-sweet drinks, then this drink isn't for you. If you love blackberries and drinks with very little sugar, then give this mocktail a try.


Berry Crush Mocktail

5 large blackberries
1 - 2 tsp agave nectar (or more, if you like your drinks really sweet)
3 splashes Peychaud's Bitters (omit if desired)
1 tsp black cherry concentrate (I used R.W. Knudsen's brand)
1 orange wedge
ice
seltzer or club soda

  1. Place the blackberries into a rocks glass and muddle until well crushed.
  2. Add the agave nectar, bitters, and black cherry concentrate.
  3. Squeeze the orange, and then drop into the glass.
  4. Stir well, add ice, and top off with seltzer.
  5. Swizzle gently before drinking.

Bonus: This mocktail is as little as 40 calories if you go for just 1 teaspoon of agave nectar.

4 red beans:

Laura said...

That sounds delicious, relaxing, and festive.
I like your Friday tradition-
I think I need to add that in 2011!

Laura
White Spray Paint

We went to New Orleans over Christmas break so I could dance, and we had a blast.

Make a Roux said...

Thanks, Laura! Mocktail time was relaxing, indeed. Such a perfect way to wind down the work week.

Wish I'd known you were in NO. I was out visiting my family for the holidays. Where did you go dancing? Mulate's? Rock N' Bowl? Cafe Brasil?

Sarah said...

mmm this one sounds good. I like those concentrates. I use them to wean myself off of a soda binge.

I need to buy some bitters. I've never used it, but see it in so many drinks.

Happy mocktail hour

Make a Roux said...

Thanks, Sarah!
Those concentrates are so good, aren't they?

Bitters are really making a comeback. There are all sorts now. I highly recommend Peychaud's, but I'm a bit biased as they were created in New Orleans and are used in the ever-famous Sazerac. Fee Brothers makes a nice and varied line of bitters, too, though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...