Then, what's a girl to do at cocktail time on a Friday afternoon? Make a mocktail, that's what!
The best mocktails are usually made with fresh ingredients, so I grabbed some blackberries and oranges and went to work. The Peychaud's Bitters add a teensy amount of alcohol, but I'm not going to split hairs over it.
If you hate blackberry seeds and love sticky-sweet drinks, then this drink isn't for you. If you love blackberries and drinks with very little sugar, then give this mocktail a try.
Berry Crush Mocktail
5 large blackberries
1 - 2 tsp agave nectar (or more, if you like your drinks really sweet)
3 splashes Peychaud's Bitters (omit if desired)
1 tsp black cherry concentrate (I used R.W. Knudsen's brand)
1 orange wedge
seltzer or club soda
- Place the blackberries into a rocks glass and muddle until well crushed.
- Add the agave nectar, bitters, and black cherry concentrate.
- Squeeze the orange, and then drop into the glass.
- Stir well, add ice, and top off with seltzer.
- Swizzle gently before drinking.
Bonus: This mocktail is as little as 40 calories if you go for just 1 teaspoon of agave nectar.