Well, just call me the accidental cook. Yesterday, I whipped up this rice salad for lunch out of leftover rice, andouille, sauteed mushrooms and broccoli from dinner the night before.
It tasted so yummy that I knew I wanted to a) jot down the recipe and b) share it with you.
As written, this recipe makes a decent meal for two people. Double the recipe as a side dish for company.
Andouille, Mushroom and Veggie Rice Salad
1 1/2 Tbsp butter or olive oil
2 cups white or brown rice, cooked and cooled
15 - 20 cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1 c onion, cut to your preference (mine were sliced)
1 c broccoli, steamed, cooled, and cut into bite-sized pieces
2 links fully cooked andouille sausage, diced
20 cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 of an avocado, diced
3 oz feta cheese
Tabasco Green or other favorite hot sauce
1/2 - 3/4c 2% Greek yogurt, or more if desired
- Saute the onions in the butter or oil over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and saute until dark brown and softened, about 5 minutes.
- Season the mixture with thyme, salt and pepper. Let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, fold together the rice, mushroom mixture, broccoli, sausage, tomatoes, avocado, and feta until ingredients look evenly distributed.
- Season to taste with Creole Seasoning, salt, pepper and hot sauce.
- Fold in the Greek yogurt, adding more if the salad seems too dry for your taste.
Tip: I haven't tried it yet, but you could probably make this salad ahead of time, stirring in the yogurt shortly before serving.