Monday, October 11, 2010

Eggs Matsutake

Recently, I was one of several food bloggers contacted by Justin at Marx Foods about a recipe contest involving dried mushrooms. I received a terrific sample pack of mushrooms (lobster, black trumpet, porcini, morel, and matsutake).

I'd heard of all the varieties of mushrooms except for one -- matsutake. I was fascinated by the name and decided to research the variety. From my reading, I found out that the matsutake is prized in Japan and that it has a very complex and pungent flavor.

As my entry into the contest, and as my introduction to the matsutake mushroom, I created a breakfast dish that I've called Eggs Matsutake.


The matsutakes were very, very tasty and meaty. The poached eggs provided a great backdrop for the matsutake sauce. This dish is a definite keeper.

Don't forget to check out Marx Foods for dried mushrooms, and many varieties of wild foods, seafood and meats!


Eggs Matsutake


Rehydrate the Mushrooms:
2 oz dried matsutake mushrooms
1 c boiling water

Place mushrooms into a bowl and pour boiling water over them to rehydrate.
Let mushrooms soak for 20 minutes.

Poach the Eggs:
2 eggs
water for poaching eggs

While the mushrooms are soaking, poach the two eggs in enough water so that they are covered and not touching the bottom of the pan.
When poached, remove the eggs to paper toweling to drain.

Make the Matsutake Sauce:
mushrooms and soaking liquid
3 Tbsp butter
1 small clove garlic, minced (or about 1/2 tsp)
1/4 c champagne
1 tsp chives, snipped
1/2 tsp oregano, minced
salt & pepper

Remove the mushrooms from the soaking liquid and chop, reserving 1/2 c of the soaking liquid for the sauce. (Reserve remaining 1/2 c for another use.)
In a small pan over medium heat, saute the garlic in 2 Tbsp of the butter until softened.
Add the mushrooms and saute until aromatic, about 1 minute.
Deglaze the pan with the champagne and the reserved soaking liquid.
Bring to a boil and then remove from heat.
Whisk in the remaining 1 Tbsp butter.
Stir in the chives and oregano.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve:
1 English muffin, split and toasted
butter
poached eggs
matsutake sauce
oregano sprig for garnish

Butter the English muffin halves and place on a plate.
Top each half with a poached egg.
Season each egg with salt and pepper.
Spoon the matsutake sauce evenly over the eggs.
Garnish with oregano sprig and serve immediately.

4 red beans:

Maranda said...

Oh wow this looks good! The runny yoke in the egg totally sold me. I think I need this like...now!

Roux In A Wok said...

Yum. Do you do use anything special to get a good looking poached egg? I use vinegar sometimes and have tried a few contraptions, but it never looks as good as it tastes.

Make a Roux said...

Maranda, I am a sucker for a runny egg yolk. I could eat poached, soft-boiled, or over-easy eggs every day!

Make a Roux said...

Hey Roux, I use the old vortex trick! Crack your egg into a bowl. When the water looks ready, whisk around and around the pot to make a vortex. Get it going good and then slip the egg right into the middle.

I did not use vinegar this time, but I usually do while using the vortex method.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...