Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Gateau de Figue (Cajun Fig Cake)

Here is a cake from my childhood. My great aunt, Tante Therese, often made this fig cake in the summer, as figs were quite abundant in South Louisiana at that time of year. My maternal grandparents, who lived next door to us, had a huge fig tree that gave up many a fig each summer. I remember gorging on the fresh figs, then enjoying fig cake from Tante Therese, and fig preserves from Mom and Mamere.



As the summer ends here in SoCal, I have found myself fortunate enough to have neighbors with a fig tree that is now heavy with fruit.



3 red beans:

Anonymous said...

I am lucky enough to have some of this fantastic cake right here! Thanks Gumbogal - Julie loved it too - she's a big fan o' the Figs! Just perfect - not too sweet and very figgy. Pecans totally make it perfect as well.

m2

Marguerite said...

Oh, yummy! I am drooling and wish I had a big piece of this scrumptious looking Fig cake, right now!

Roux In A Wok said...

We had a tree down the street growing up. We used to have fig wars, throwing the rotten one at each other then washing off with the backyard hose. Love figs, love fig preserves, fig newtons etc. All remind me of my childhood.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...