Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday Cocktail: Port Maria

Today, I'm bringing you a cocktail that incorporates Velvet Falernum, one of my new favorite cocktail ingredients. Actually, it isn't really new. It's been around for ages and, chances are, you've had it if you've ever had a drink involving an umbrella as its garnish.


Velvet Falernum is a sugar cane-based liqueur (if you know me, you know that sugar cane is near and dear to my heart) that also incorporates lime juice, almonds and cloves.




Today's drink is the Port Maria cocktail. It did a terrific job of melting away the stresses of my harried work week. By the way, you must forgive me for garnishing this drink with canned (GASP!) pineapple. After the week I've had, I lacked the motivation to get out and buy a fresh pineapple. I will, however, try this drink again, with both fresh pineapple juice and fresh garnish. I'm sure that'll double its stress-relieving properties.

 Cheers!


Port Maria Cocktail

I assume that this cocktail was inspired by Port Maria, a town in Saint Mary parish, Jamaica.


  1. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and:
    • 1 1/2 oz light rum
    • 1 oz pineapple juice
    • 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
    • 1 Tbsp Velvet Falernum
  2. Strain into a martini glass.
  3. Top with a generous grating of fresh nutmeg, and garnish with a chunk of pineapple.
  4. Say goodbye to a stressful week!
FYI, Fee Brothers makes a non-alcoholic Falernum. But, why would you want that? ;)

3 red beans:

Marguerite said...

Looks so yummy! I've never heard of Velvet Falernum, but I will keep my eye out for it. Thanks for sharing! Cheers, cher!

Make a Roux said...

Thanks, Marguerite! :D

Maranda said...

Oh this sounds deliciously refreshing and tropical! Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...