Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tastes of Past and Present - Shrimp Cakes with Cilantro Yogurt Sauce

Years ago when I lived in Baton Rouge, I frequented a local burger joint that served a spicy shrimp burger. It was the same idea as a crab cake, yet made with shrimp and placed on a bun with some remoulade sauce.

The shrimp cake itself was well seasoned and included a combination of minced and chunked shrimp, giving it great texture. The taste of that shrimp cake popped into my head a few weeks ago, and I haven't been able to shake it since. I just knew I had to make some.




Here's my take on the shrimp cake I ate so long ago. It's a fair approximation, though it's pan fried rather than deep fried. And, instead of pairing them with remoulade, I served the cakes with a cilantro, yogurt and avocado sauce I'd made for another purpose (veggie dip). The two worked great together, giving me a little taste of the past and of the present.

Shrimp Cakes
(Makes 8 cakes)
1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 Tbsp light mayonnaise
1 egg
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp chives, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp Creole seasoning (1/4 tsp for cakes and 1/4 tsp for flour mixture)
1/2 tsp chipotle chile powder (1/4 tsp for cakes and 1/4 tsp for flour mixture)
1/2 tsp salt
a few grinds of fresh pepper
1 c corn flour
olive oil
  1. Pulse all but one dozen of the shrimp in a food processor until finely chopped.
  2. Cut the remaining shrimp into small chunks.
  3. Place all of the shrimp into a mixing bowl.
  4. In a small bowl, mix together the egg, mayo, garlic, chives, jalapeno, thyme, parsley, lemon juice, salt, pepper, 1/4 tsp of the Creole seasoning, and 1/4 tsp of the chipotle powder.
  5. Pour the egg mixture into the bowl with the shrimp, then fold to mix.
  6. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
  7. Place the corn flour into a shallow bowl, add the remaining Creole seasoning and chipotle, and mix well.
  8. Divide the mixture into 8 patties about 1/2 inch thick and dredge in the corn flour, setting each aside on the cookie sheet.
  9. Refrigerate for 30 mins.
  10. When ready to cook, coat a large skillet enough olive oil to cover its surface and set on medium heat.
  11. Cook four of the shrimp cakes at a time, about 5 - 6 mins per side.
  12. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels.
  13. Repeat with the other four shrimp cakes, adding more oil if necessary.
  14. Serve with cocktail sauce, remoulade sauce, or Cilantro Yogurt Sauce.

Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
1/2 c 2% Greek yogurt
1/2 c avocado, diced
1 c cilantro
4 tsp red wine vinegar
pinch or twp of kosher salt
a few grinds of fresh pepper

Mix all together in a food processor. Taste and adjust seasonings.

9 red beans:

Diana's Cocina said...

They look fantastic and I think I will have to make these soon. We are headed to Port Aransas and the Polly Anna shrimp boat has always been our last stop. We come home with a cooler full of fresh shrimp. Gotta love it.

sosaysmorvant said...

You look like a fansastic cook, Roux. Typically, your meals are a little fancy for your upbringing (Vacherie) but I guess you had to adapt to the new habitat.

Those shrimp cakes look extra tasty. Can't wait till you come to Sandy's as the "celebrity chef" next time around.....

Tootles!

Marguerite said...

These shrimp cakes look divine and I just love the cilantro yogurt sauce, too! A great summer lunch!

san said...

oHHH MAN.... do these look awesome. I'm trying to stay away from shrimp because I have high cholesterol,but I don't care. And the cilantro sauce is a for sure for me... you can sure cook, woman. Hope all's well with you and yours. have a great Sunday. Come visit soon. Don't feel like a boring sandwich? visit my other blog, www.alwayscurtsywhenyousneeze.com it's wreckless.

Make a Roux said...

Thanks, Diana! Port Aransas is such a pretty place. And a great choice for seafood. I imagine it hasn't been affected (yet?) by the BP oil spill.

Make a Roux said...

Hey Morvant! I don't know if I would call my meals fancy. You're right, though, that it's more about adapting to my new habitat. I just can't get a lot of the things that were available back home. I do lug suitcases of items back home and order(ed) seafood via air whenever possible. Still, I sometimes have to make do with what's here.

I think that Sandy would kick my ass in a cooking contest. Iron Chef Vacherie Edition!

Make a Roux said...

Thanks, Marguerite! How many pounds of shrimp do you have left in that freezer of yours? ;P

Make a Roux said...

Thanks, San! I have been by your new blog and just love it, especially Botox Barbie! :D You must write a post about your obsession with Mr. Ramsay.

MrOrph said...

sounds to me that the chunked shrimp and the cornmeal added some really nice texture. never made a shrimp burger/cake. i need to wrap me head around this one. good stuff!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...