If you're looking for a great slaw to serve at or take to a party, this is the one. It's sweet, tangy, hot, and smoky all at once. The sweetness comes from honey, the tanginess from mustard, and the heat and smokiness from spicy smoked almonds. The best part of all, is that there's no mayo to weigh it down.
Honey Mustard Slaw with Smoked Almonds
2 c shredded green cabbage
2 tbsp mustard (I used yellow prepared mustard.)
1/4 c plain low fat Greek yogurt
1/4 c honey
1 - 2 tbsp red wine vinegar (depending on your taste; substitute hot pepper vinegar for a spicier taste)
2 tbsp chopped chives
20 - 30 spicy smoked almonds, chopped (I used Blue Diamond Habanero BBQ)
salt and pepper
- Place cabbage in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, honey, yogurt, and vinegar to create the dressing.
- Add a pinch of salt and a generous amount of pepper to the dressing; stir to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage, and then add the chives.
- Fold until the dressing and chives are well combined.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, fold in the almonds.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.