Friday, June 18, 2010

Friday Cocktail: Tomato Thyme

This coming Sunday, we officially say goodbye to Spring and hello to Summer. While I'm still waiting for a bumper crop of large heirloom tomatoes, I am harvestng the heck out of my grape tomatoes, which are in their second year of growing. Oddly, they are becoming a little bigger in size and less oval, yet they still taste sweet as ever.

I eat at least a handful of the little red gems each day, and am not sick of them in the least. In fact I'm looking for new ways to appreciate them. I remembered a play on a Bloody Mary I'd seen in a cooking magazine that involved an arduous process for extracting "tomato water". The resulting cocktail sounded delicious and light, with lots of tomatoey goodness, but I just didn't feel up to blanching and seeding and squeezing tomatoes today. I dispensed with the lengthy process and opted for nuking the toms for a few seconds to bring out their juices. Worked like a charm.



I muddled and added some thyme, oj and vodka. I liked the way the orange juice played up the tomato flavor instead of competing with it. I might try adding a little more to see how it changes the taste. You might also want to switch out the herbs here (I'm thinking cilantro next), but my Cajun roots have given me a propensity for thyme with tomatoes.


Cheers!


Tomato Thyme

6 grape tomatoes (reserve one for garnish)
1 sprig of thyme
pinch of sea salt
2 oz vodka
1/2 oz fresh orange juice
drop or two of Tabasco Green
ice

 1. Cut five of the tomatoes in half and place in a microwaveable bowl.
 2. Microwave on high for 15 seconds, let cool for 2-3 mins.
 3. Place tomatoes into a shaker.
 4. Strip thyme leaves off of stem and into shaker. Discard stem.
 5. Add a pinch of salt to thyme and tomatoes, and then muddle thoroughly.
 6. Pour in the vodka, orange juice and Tabasco.
 7. Add ice to fill the shaker 3/4ths of the way.
 8. Cover and shake vigourously until icy.
 9. Strain into a martini glass.
10. Garnish with a tomato.
11. HAIL SUMMER!

7 red beans:

Sam said...

Hello Dahling! This one's right up my alley, Girl. I'm going to share this with my Sister with whom I have a cocktail every Friday nite. she loves to try new recipes and it just so happens we have some tomatoe plants of our own coming up. I can't drop you a line without mentioning the catastropy happening in the Gulf. It makes me physically ill and I know your heart has to be breaking as well. I'm praying for something good to come of it, if that's even possible. And frankly, I can't watch any more news about it. Every day the reports are more upsetting. Keep cookin, Love. Your friend, Keri

Sam said...

Come over and enter to win my little giveaway. keri

Diana's Cocina said...

I'm always open for cocktail hour!This sounds like something I would like.

Marguerite said...

This Tomato Thyme cocktail looks so yummy! I'm having dinner guests and am going to try it, tonight, cher! Thanks for the great recipe!

Make a Roux said...

Hey Sam! Thanks for sharing the cocktail with your sis. Please let me know what you thought of it.

Thanks for keeping the Gulf in your thoughts and prayers. It is maddening and heartbreaking to see what is happening there.

Thanks for the heads up on your giveaway. I've entered it! Cheers!

Make a Roux said...

Thanks, Diana! Let me know if you try it out.

Make a Roux said...

Marguerite, you are making me nervous. I hope your guests like the cocktail. If not, please blame it on me! If you get a chance, leave me some feedback on the outcome -- good or bad.

Cheers to you, chere!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...