Friday, June 25, 2010

Awesome No-Cook Meatless Soft Tacos

What do I eat when I don't want to cook, or when it's too hot to cook? Usually, I'll have some kind of salad topped with protein in the form of beans, cottage cheese, or eggs. While I am not a vegetarian by any means (What kind of Cajun would I be?), I often find that I don't want or need to eat meat for lunch.

One day, I was in need of a break from salad, but wanted something cool and refreshing that didn't need to be cooked. I came up with these meatless soft tacos and they were simply awesome. They were fresh and flavorful; filling without being heavy.


Awesome No-Cook Meatless Soft Tacos

flour tortilla (white or wheat)
2% cottage cheese (you can strain it a bit through some cheesecloth to get rid of the water)
pinto beans, chickpeas, or black beans (canned or freshly boiled and drained)
grated pepper jack cheese (I used a very small amount just for flavor)
avocado, chopped
lettuce, chopped or shredded
cherry tomatoes, halved
cucumber, chopped (not pictured in the photos, but I added cucumber the second time I made these tacos)
jalapeno or other hot pepper, seeded and sliced
cilantro
lime wedge
Tabasco Green sauce
Tabasco Chipotle sauce
seasonings of your choice (salt, pepper, Creole seasoning, chile powder, etc)

(This is one of those no measuring recipes. Just pile as much of everything as you want onto the tortilla.)


1. Place the beans down the middle third of a tortilla.
2. Top with cottage cheese, shredded pepper jack, lettuce, tomato, and avocado.
3. Sprinkle generously with seasonings of your choice.
4. Sprinkle with jalapeno, cilantro, and squeeze of lime.
5. Top with Tabasco sauces.
6. Fold in half and chow down.


Don't forget the napkins! These things are crazy messy!

9 red beans:

Marguerite said...

These look fantastic! They remind me of a veggie fajita wrap that I like to have for lunch. Great recipe, Thanks for sharing!

gnee said...

I love your beautiful blog, and this is my kind of meal! Thanks for an easy night tonight...Happiness to you.

Bumpkin on a Swing said...

Great idea for the boat here, I can put it in tupperware containers, and then they can just pull out the shell and scoop it in.
Maybe a little chicken in it for the protein, still would keep well in the coolers.

DessertObsessed said...

thanks for checking up on me! these look super great! i love meatless!

Anonymous said...

Dang Gumbogal!

You really know how to take care o' the non-meat eaters out there! Those look great - gotta try 'em myself...

m2

Make a Roux said...

Thanks, Marguerite. I love veggie fajitas, too. SO YUMMY!

gnee, thanks for the wonderful compliment. You made my day!

Make a Roux said...

Hey Bumpkin, I think any kind of wraps where the toppings are prepped would be great. I cannot believe all the work you are doing feeding your Captain and his entire crew of the TURTLEBOAT! Hooray for the animal rescuers! May they stay safe and continue doing their good deeds to help the Gulf Coast.

Make a Roux said...

Dorothy, Thanks for stopping by. Loved those cute puppy cookies on your blog!

Make a Roux said...

m2, Thanks! Let me know if you try them out. I'm sure you could put an interesting spin on them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...