Friday, May 21, 2010

Eggs in Tomato Sauce (What to Eat When BP Oils Up All Louisiana Seafood)

Eggs in tomato sauce. It's a Cajun delicacy that doesn't make use of seafood, which is (sadly) convenient right now.




I'm not sure what side of my family this comes from, but I have a vague memory of eating boiled eggs in tomato sauce. I'm going to guess that this dish had its roots in Lent, when both seafood- and egg-based dishes were plentiful.


I had a hankering for this dish a few days ago, but decided to change it up a bit by poaching the eggs, rather than boiling them, and serving them atop some French bread.



While I'm at it, I'll take this opportunity to recommend this dish as something to serve when the remainder of the Louisiana seafood is unavailable to eat. (Even though I love eggs, I love Louisiana seafood even more. Thanks for nothing, BP!)


Eggs in Tomato Sauce


1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp olive oil
2 c tomato sauce (homemade or jarred)
2 eggs
red pepper flakes
salt and pepper, to taste
1 c greens, chopped (beet greens, rocket, etc.)
chives
basil
parmigiano reggiano, grated, to taste

To serve:
2 large slices of French bread, rubbed with garlic and toasted


1. Saute' garlic in the olive oil in a small saute' pan or skillet over medium high heat for about 1 minute.
2. Pour in tomato sauce and season with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
3. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 -20 mins.
4. Crack eggs into a small glass bowl, checking for shells.
5. Gently slide the eggs into the tomato sauce, then sprinkle the greens on top.
6. Cover the pan and continue simmering the sauce and eggs for about 5 mins, or until set.
7. Remove the pan from the heat and place each egg onto a slice of French bread.
8. Divide the sauce evenly among both eggs.
9. Sprinkle with chives and basil, season to taste with salt and pepper, then top with grated parmigiano reggiano.

16 red beans:

Sarah said...

This looks sadly delicious. I cannot even imagine how much more heartbreaking this spill is for someone who grew up in Louisiana.

I love your post on things that one can do. I'm going to try and link to it soon.

Thanks for posting these eggs. I have never had eggs in sauce and it looks so tasty.

misti said...

This looks so great. You always take the most delicious pictures!

I am so sad about this oil crap. For the wildlife and the coast, of course, but I hate thinking about those 4th and 5th generation fishermen (some whom I know!) who are out of work during already hard times...

Marguerite said...

Looks dee-lish and your pics are fab! My Dad and I each bought 50 lbs. of shrimp and 20 lbs. each, of crabmeat and catfish, so that should hold us for a while. It's all so sad!

sandieslittletreasures said...

You made it look so yummy! I don't know if it's more of an old lentin dish or tradition, or a cheap meal to put on a table for the bigger families ..................:) Looks great girl !

Make a Roux said...

Thank ya, Sandy! :) You make a great point. This is probably one of those dishes that was made up to stretch the food budget.

Make a Roux said...

Thanks, Sarah. It's definitely heartbreaking and maddening for all who have grown up along the Gulf Coast. :[

Thanks in advance if you decide to link to my posts on what people can do. That would be a help!

Let me know what you think if you happen to try out the eggs.

Make a Roux said...

Misti, thanks!!
It seems like there is no end in sight to this oil spill tragedy. I cannot even begin to understand how frustrating this is to all the fishermen who have known this one way of life for generations. Ug.

Make a Roux said...

Marguerite, I'm glad you liked the pics!

Smart thinking stocking up on all of that seafood. I wish I had a spare freezer on hand so that I could do the same. Enjoy it!

kb said...

I've never heard of this recipe...but it looks GRRRREAAT!!!! Can't wait to try it. Thanks SMF for adding to my cooking addiction!!!!!!!!!

kb said...

I've never heard of this recipe...but it looks GRRRREAAT!!!! Can't wait to try it. Thanks SMF for adding to my cooking addiction!!!!!!!!!

Make a Roux said...

Hi and welcome, KB! :D

kdito8 said...

Hunnny, this is another one that's right up my alley. And I would prefer the poached eggs to the boiled too. Lovely, who would have thought? Not me! And yes, my heart bleeds for our ocean and all it's creatures. The whole thing makes me very angry and it hurts. Bless you, friend. Keri

Kentie said...

Yum! I've been reading about poached egg dishes in my old cookbooks recently. I want to try one in which the eggs are poached in a cream sauce. Though this tomato sauce version looks more appetizing.

Liz said...

Hi,
I'm having fun reading your blog & have awarded you the "Happy 101" blogger badge. :) Read more about it/pick it up (if you like) here:
http://mybigfatfamilyblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/happy-101-and-my-aunt-marthas-birthday.html
Best,
Liz

Bumpkin on a Swing said...

This is the Captain's in shore meal, if he makes it home long enough.
I will prepare my sauce, homemade of course, with tomatoes from the garden, and then when he comes in, I just throw it all together right?
Foolproof, perfect, I wrote this down on a recipe card and everything. That means it's on permanent rotation.

Make a Roux said...

Bumpkin, this dish will be five times better with your homemade sauce! Just get the eggs out and do the little bit of chopping and you are good to go! I forget what size eggs I used, so your time may vary. But, you will easily be able to tell when they are done.

Would love any feedback from you and the Captain!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...