Sunday, April 18, 2010

Welcome, Spring! Fresh Pea Soup with Potatoes and Chicken

Nothing says, "Welcome, Spring!" like fresh peas. I have many a childhood memory of picking peas with my grandparents and of shelling peas on my grandparents' porch and around the kitchen table at home with my parents.
Along with those memories of Springs past, I've been thinking about a soup made from fresh peas and herbs. This week, I finally made good on that soup, throwing in some potatoes for body and adding chicken to satisfy my carnivorous side. 



If you have an abundance of fresh peas this season, try making this soup. If you don't, make it with frozen peas. Either way, this recipe is a definite keeper in my book.
 
WELCOME, SPRING!
Fresh Pea Soup with Potatoes and Chicken 
2 large russet potatoes, 1" dice
12 oz pale lager (I used Heineken)
4 c chicken or vegetable stock
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 c yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 large stalk celery, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
3 Tbsp chives, minced
4 c green peas (fresh or frozen)
1 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp water
3 c cooked chicken, cubed
salt
pepper
cayenne
hot sauce

For garnish:
2 - 3 peas in pods, sliced on the bias
chive flowers
thyme sprigs
  1. Place the potatoes, lager, stock, and salt in a large pot.
  2. Boil the potatoes until fork tender.
  3. While potatoes are boiling, heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
  4. Saute' the onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic until softened and aromatic.
  5. Add the thyme, chives, peas, butter and the water to the skillet.
  6. Saute the peas for 5 - 7 minutes to soften and meld the flavors.
  7. Season the peas with salt and pepper. Set aside.
  8. Once the potatoes are boiled, remove about 1 c of the potatoes with a slotted spoon and set aside.
  9. Add the peas into the pot with the remaining potato mixture.
  10. Using an immersion blender, puree the pea/potato/stock mixture until smooth. (Alternatively, pour into a blender, blend until smooth, then pour back into pot.)
  11. Return the potatoes to the soup and add the chicken.
  12. Heat the soup through and season to taste with salt, pepper, cayenne, and hot sauce.
  13. Serve topped with chopped pea pods, chive flowers, and thyme sprigs.




5 red beans:

Bumpkin on a Swing said...

This sound fabulous can not wait to try it. The Captain loves pea soup, and our fresh peas are about a foot high in the garden.

tallmisto said...

This soup is so pretty. I've never made fresh pea soup, I'm going to try this.

Make a Roux said...

Thanks, Bumpkin! Most Captains don't like pea soup. Or, maybe it's just that they don't like fog as thick as pea soup! ;P

Make a Roux said...

Thanks, tallmisto! It was pretty tasty. I was not feeling well when I made it and, I swear it helped me feel better. Must have been all that green.

Eileen said...

This looks delicious. I just noticed peas at the farmers market so this might be next on my list of things to make!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...