Half of my latest avocado ended up here, in the greatness I call an "avocado salad with pickled red onions and red pepper jelly vinaigrette".
Because I like to let you in on what goes through my mind when I come up with my little concoctions, I'll give you my stream of conciousness on this one. It went something like, "Avocado. YUM. Cilantro. Chives. Red pepper jelly. Sweet. YUMMY. Chipotle pickled onions. Need some protein. Cheese? Guilt. Hmm... Lots of fat from the avo. Reduced fat string cheese. Okay! Less guilt. YUM YUM YUM!"
Avocado Salad with Pickled Red Onions
(Makes 1 entree salad or 2 side salads)
4 large leaves of butter lettuce, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cucumber, chopped
1/2 of a medium, ripened avocado, diced
1 stick of reduced fat string cheese or 1 oz of any mild cheese, chopped
salt and pepper
pickled red onions
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the lettuce, cucumber, avocado and string cheese.
- Squeeze the lime over all and toss.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper to taste and toss again.
- Place the salad on a plate and top with pickled red onions (optional).
- Pour red pepper jelly vinaigrette over the salad and serve.
Red Pepper Jelly Vinaigrette
1 Tbsp red pepper jelly
1 Tbsp honey mustard
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp cilantro, chopped
2 tsp chives, snipped
salt and pepper
- Place the pepper jelly in a small mason jar (without the lid) and microwave on high for 20 - 30 seconds, or until melted.
- Add the mustard, vinegar, cilantro, and chives to the jar.
- Place lid on jar and shake vigorously to combine.
- Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper, close jar, and shake again.
- Adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Serve over avocado salad.