Thursday, February 18, 2010

Luscious Lunch - Warm Egg Salad with Greek Yogurt

Ask me what my favorite lunch is and I'll tell you it's an egg salad sandwich. The eggs should be perfectly boiled (no icky green yolks!) and still slightly warm.


Now, if there is something I hate about traditional egg salad, it's MAYO. I'm not a big fan of its taste when used in large quantities, nor do I care for all the fat it adds to a dish. I prefer using lowfat strained Greek yogurt with a teensy bit of light mayo to help bind everything together.


The key to the unctuous texture of this salad is the incorporation of the chopped, boiled eggs while they are still warm. Here's your chance to get those asbestos fingers you've always wanted!


If the yolks of your boiled eggs tend to resemble green, rubbery pencil erasers, read my post on the perfect boiled egg before starting your egg salad.

For egg salad nirvana, try it on a nice oat bread with some arugula and tomato.

Warm Egg Salad with Greek Yogurt

1/4 c lowfat strained Greek yogurt (like Oikos, Fage, Voskos, etc.)
1 Tbsp light mayo
2 Tbsp fresh chives, snipped
1 1/2 Tbsp celery, minced
1 tsp red wine vinegar
salt, pepper, Creole seasoning, and/or hot sauce
5 large boiled eggs, peeled and chopped while still warm (Use common sense. Don't burn your fingers!)
  1. Whisk the first five ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl.
  2. Season the mixture to taste with any combination of salt, pepper, Creole seasoning, and hot sauce.
  3. Gently stir in the warm, chopped eggs until combined.
  4. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Makes enough egg salad for two generous sandwiches.

9 red beans:

Gabriella said...

Dear Firstmakearoux, your eggsalad sounds divine! Also, your post on how to boil the eggs was really interesting, I have to try out your method for sure! "Wild Thing", you make my heart sing! Loved and saved this recipe. I shall revisit you soon. Thank you for sharing.
Cheers, Gaby
You can always visit me at http://ptsaldari.posterous.com.

Sam said...

This my friend is SMASHING! Can I give my readers a tease/peek with a link to your fabulous blog? You are a true arteest in the kitchen.

Also, didn't I have you? Just for a second with Gordon @ the Door?

Hee Hawwwwwww! Keri (a.k.a. Sam)

misti said...

I cannot wait to try this. I 100% agree with you on the "musts" of egg salad - little mayo, eggs cooked perfectly, on the warm side...this looks insanely good.

Make a Roux said...

Hi Gabriella! Thanks for stopping by and for friending me on Foodbuzz. I've read your three most recent posts and they are a fantastic look at what is, for me, the opposite side of dining out. Great blog!

Make a Roux said...

Sam, I would be honored if you gave your readers a peak at my site! WHOOOO! Thanks!!

And, yes, you got me there for a second. I thought it was the REAL GORDON standing right in front of your house! Brilliantly funny!

Make a Roux said...

misti, Are you sure you aren't my long lost relative? We are very much alike, especially where food is concerned. :)

Katherine Aucoin said...

I really like that you used yogurt instead of mayo. Now you have me wanting to try this!

Bo said...

Love egg salad...This version sounds delicious.

Make a Roux said...

Katherine, if you try it, let me know what you think!

Thanks, Bo! I'm now following your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...