Monday, February 1, 2010

King Cake from Sucre'

Recently, the nice folks at Sucre', a pastry shop and chocolatier on Magazine Street in New Orleans, contacted me about trying one of their king cakes. Having tried some of their pastries and chocolates in the past, I was thrilled to provide them with feedback and to share their creation with you.


Just so you know, I know my way around a good king cake because: 1) I've been eating it since I learned how to chew, and 2) I've learned how to bake them myself because I live in the Carnival-less land of Southern California.

My first impression of the cake was that it was simply gorgeous. Instead of the usual colored sugars, the cake was airbrushed with the slightest sheen of gold and lilac, then sprinkled with edible glitter. I was really thrilled to see the edible glitter, as it's one of my favorite baking ingredients. I use it on cupcakes, cakes and even atop my homemade king cakes for extra sparkle.


The packaging was lovely. Two hefty strands of beads, a note of thanks, and a card detailing the history of the king cake along with some heating instructions. The instructions told me to heat the king cake at 350 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes, which I did.

For taste, I'd rate this king cake an 8.5 on a scale of 1 to 10, considering the three main components: dough, filling, and icing.

Dough
The dough was a lot more buttery than I'm used to in a king cake. That wasn't necessarily a bad thing; it just made the cake very rich and maybe a little less balanced than I would have liked.

Filling
The cake could have used more of the yummy cream cheese filling, which was nicely whipped and not overly sweet.

Icing
There was just the right amount of it and it tasted just right. Unfortunately though, after the time in the oven, the icing cracked, causing it to fall off of the cake during cutting and eating.


I'd definitely recommend this king cake for a Carnival party. It's as fanciful as a ball gown, it's very tasty, and you can have it delivered anywhere in the US for $19.99 + 9.95 shipping.

SUCRE'
3025 Magazine Street
New Orleans, LA 70115

Full disclosure: Other than being given this king cake, I have not been compensated for my review.

2 red beans:

misti said...

I had a teeny bite of a friends and it was oh so good...and now your blog has left me wanting more, as usual!

Make a Roux said...

Thanks so much, Misti!

I'm sure Sucre' can help you if you really have a hankering!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...