Thursday, January 7, 2010

Cajun Dressing Sandwich

Dear readers, I have returned from my holiday visit to South Louisiana, where I indulged in many a Cajun and Creole delicacy.

Feast your eyes on one of my favorite things from home.


It's a dressing sandwich.

It ain't pretty, but it is SO tasty. And my momma made it just for me! :)

Dressing, also known to those in the German Coast area of Louisiana as farre, consists of ground pork, ground beef, chicken giblets, onions, celery, garlic, bell pepper, parsley, and lots of other seasonings. The whole mixture is cooked with and bound together by chicken stock.

Dressing is typically served as a side dish, often popping up on the Thanksgiving table. We also eat it as a cold or hot sandwich spread; the cold version of the sandwich sometimes turns up at Cajun wedding receptions.

I enjoy my dressing hot and heaped on French bread or on a pistolette (that's like a mini-French bread to you non-Cajun folk) with a generous slathering of yellow mustard.

Simple, honest, and just plain delicious.

11 red beans:

Bob said...

I've never heard of this wonderful thing, where's the recipe?!

Make a Roux said...

Hi Bob,
I'm working on getting my mom to give it up! ;)

PuraAbarca said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sam said...

Wow. Spectacular! I am for sure going to try this. One of these days, when you have a minute, stop by my blog. I'd be honored to have you as a friend and/or follower! Keri (aka Sam)www.samwich365.com

Marguerite said...

That Dressing Sandwich looks divine! Glad you got to go home for the holidays. Happy New Year!

Make a Roux said...

Sam, thanks for coming by. I love your site! I'm adding it in my sidebar and following you. Keep up the awesome sandwich work!

Make a Roux said...

Thanks, Marguerite! I had a fabulous time spending the holidays back home. Hope you had a terrific holiday!

Katherine Aucoin said...

Welcome back and Happy New Year! Wow, how long has it seen since I had one of these. you don't miss them until you can't get them anymore.

Make a Roux said...

Hey Katherine! I had such a great time being home for the holidays. My tummy and tastebuds were pretty darned happy, too. ;P

I agree. I always took dressing for granted. It was something we always had. Now, it seems special because my mom makes it for me when I visit home.

Bumpkin on a Swing said...

Found you over at Dixie Lust!

Love my belle buddies!

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Make a Roux said...

Hey, Bumpkin! It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I adore your blog name. Just perfect!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...