Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween Sugar Hangover - PB2 Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

Did you buy too much Halloween candy this year? I may have bought a little too much candy BEFORE Halloween this year. I did a little experiment with one of my favorite, low fat high protein products (PB2) and one of my favorite candies, Reese's peanut butter cups.


PB2 is powdered peanut butter that has been defatted. It is the invention of the smart folks at Bell Plantation in Tifton, GA. You can use PB2 dry, as I have done here, or mix it with water, jam, honey, and anything else you can think of.

The resulting cookies were as rich and decadent as any cookies made with full fat peanut butter. They were chewy on the inside and crisp on the outside, studded with the occasional decadent chunk of peanut butter cup.


Freezing the peanut butter cups beforehand helps slow their melting in the oven, with the resulting cookies just slightly chewy and oozing with peanut butter and chocolate.

If you've got leftover peanut butter cups and some PB2 on hand, give these cookies a try. You won't regret it.

PB2 Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
Yield: 32 cookies
2 eggs
1 c dark brown sugar
1 c sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
4 Tbsp cane syrup
1/2 c water
2 c PB2
1 1/2 c unbleached flour
8 0.75 oz Reese's peanut butter cups, cut into sixteenths and FROZEN, divided with approximately half the pieces for the dough and half for garnishing tops of cookies.
Oven @ 350 degrees.

  1. Line three cookie sheets with parchment.

  2. In mixer bowl, mix eggs, sugars, vanilla, baking soda, salt, syrup, water and PB2 until smooth.

  3. Gradually add flour to mixture, mixing til well combined.

  4. Gently stir in half of the peanut butter cups.

  5. Drop by 1 1/2 Tbsp onto cookie sheets.

  6. Press two pieces of Reeses pb cups onto the tops of each cookie.

  7. Bake for 12 minutes. Rotating pans half way through baking time.

  8. Cool in pan for 2 - 3 mins, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.


5 red beans:

misti said...

Yummmmm...I can feel myself becoming a diabetic just from looking at these. I love ANYTHING with peanut butter. The recipe kind of reminds me of my mom's peanut butter sugar cookies with kisses on top!

Make a Roux said...

haha! Thanks, Misti. I know what you mean about the diabetic comment.

I am addicted to peanut butter! And I love pb cookies with kisses on top. YUM!

Hope you had a nice Halloween!

Lee McClendon said...

My mouth was watering just from reading the description.

Make a Roux said...

Lee, are your teeth hurting, too? :)

Marguerite said...

These cookies look absolutely sinful! Yummo! I'll have to look for some of that pb2, very soon! Thanks for sharing, cher!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...