Sunday, October 18, 2009

Doux Youx Make Roux?

It's about time I lived up to my blog's name and dished out a recipe for roux.

Roux is a mixture of fat and flour that is the basis for many a Cajun and Creole dish, including gumbo and crawfish stew. Roux is time-consuming to make. It will give you a massive bicep from all the constant stirring. Oh, and you might as well handcuff yourself to the stove, because you really can't walk away for very long while making it.



Did that scare you away from making a roux? I hope not. Yes, making roux still takes time, but there's a much easier way to do it -- in a slow oven.

I hope you'll try this method the next time you need to whip up some roux. You can even make several batches of it to store in the fridge or in the freezer.

One word of caution... they don't call roux "Cajun napalm" for nothing. It burns like heck when it gets on your skin. Make sure the kiddies and kittens are out of the way anytime you work with roux.

Again, be not afraid. Just follow this recipe and youx, toux, can make a roux!

Roux
Equal parts of:
fat (oil or butter)
flour (white or unbleached work best)

Heat oven to 325 degrees.
1. If using butter, melt it on the stove in an oven safe pot.
2. Whisk the flour with the melted butter or oil.
3. Place in the oven.
4. Stir every 20 mins until you get a tan color (light roux), medium brown (peanut butter roux), or a darker reddish brown color (dark roux).

The darker the roux, the more flavor your dish will have, but the less thickening power the roux will have.

4 red beans:

tallmisto said...

I didn't know you can store it. How long does it keep for?

Make a Roux said...

Hey tallmisto! I cannot believe I forgot to include the storage info!

You can keep it in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. I like to put mine into a mason jar. It keeps anywhere from 3 - 6 months. Maybe more. I can't say I've had it hanging around that long, though! ;)

Thanks again for asking! I'll add this info to the post, too.

Leslie said...

Yes, I have been scurred of making gumbo because of the darn roux. Thanks for the tips!

Make a Roux said...

Good luck, Leslie! Let me know if you try it out. Thanks for stopping by! I'm enjoying NOLA Eats!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...