Is it too hot to cook where you live? If so, consider this making this melange of quinoa, veggies, beans, and chunks of marinated feta cheese for dinner.
There is very little cooking involved in making this salad. The corn and green beans get a quick saute' and the quinoa can be cooked in the microwave. Just check the package for microwave cooking instructions.
This salad is best served chilled. Both the salad and marinated feta can be made a day ahead of serving.
Quinoa & Marinated Feta Salad
Marinate the feta:
1/2 c white or red wine vinegar (Red wine vinegar gives the feta a slight pink tinge.)
1/3 c olive oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp oregano leaves, chopped
4 - 5 leaves basil, chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp chives, snipped
1 small clove garlic, smashed
3 oz feta cheese, cut into chunks
generous pinch or two of kosher salt
lots of black pepper
1) Place all ingredients except for cheese in a quart mason jar and shake until emulsified.
2) Add the cheese to the jar.
3) Refrigerate until the salad is made.
Assemble the salad:
5 c cooked quinoa
1/2 lb green beans, frenched and halved
2 ears fresh corn, cut from the cob
2 tsp butter
1 8oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 to 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 c orange bell pepper, chopped
1) In a small skillet over med-high heat, saute' the corn and green beans in the butter until corn is just cooked. About 2 mins.
2) In a large bowl, add all of the ingredients and toss.
3) Using a slotted spoon, remove the marinated feta from the marinade and add to the salad.
4) Add a few tablespoons of the marinade to the salad and stir to mix.
5) Continue adding marinade and stirring until the salad is well-coated, but not swimming in the marinade. (Refrigerate and use leftover marinade as salad dressing.)
6) Check seasonings and add salt and pepper to taste.
Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.