Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Pickled Red Onions

Oh, vibrant pink, pickled goodness!



Pickled red onions go with anything and everything. And, when I mean everything, I'm serious -- on barbecue sandwiches, on burgers, in tacos, and chopped in bean dishes.

Here are some of the onions atop pulled chicken and remoulade po'boys:



Pickled Red Onions

2 - 3 medium red onions, thinly sliced
1 1/2 c red wine vinegar
1/4 c + 1 Tbsp sugar
pinch of salt
1 - 2 dried chipotle peppers (I highly recommend those from Penzey's Spices)

1) In a medium saucepan, boil the vinegar, sugar and salt.
2) Add the sliced onions and chipotle pepper and turn off the heat.
3) Let sit for 5 minutes.
4) Remove onions and pepper to a quart mason jar.
5) Pour in as much of the pickling liquid as possible.
6) Add seal and ring to the jar.
7) Let stand until cool.


Onions will keep in the fridge for 1 - 2 weeks.

11 red beans:

Bob said...

Love it. Whenever my brother makes pickles he puts a bunch of onion in there, it's a good time.

Anonymous said...

Those onions were so yummy on those bbq chicken samwiches ! Yeah! Perfect accompaniment. Liked the pickles & the various salads too. Good stuff.

Do you have to use red onions to do this? What about those big Hawaiian sweet onions? I got a bunch o' those...

m2

Kora Bruce said...

New to your blog! Such a cute blog title...

And while I don't quite love onions, I'm loving the color of theese! Too bad they don't make a nail polish this color haha.

Marguerite said...

When I saw your blog title over at Smaoky Mountain Cafe', I just had to visit. Love you recipes! Your onions look dee-lish!!

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Make a Roux said...

Bob, I always throw garlic into my cuke pickles, but never thought to throw in onions. I'll have to try that.

m2, you could definitely use white onions. I would imagine that those Hawaiian sweet onions would be really tasty done up this way. Let me know if you try them out.

Hey Kora, thanks for the compliments! I'm so glad you found my blog because it led me to yours. Hmm... I'll get to work on that "Pickle Me Pink" nail polish. :P

Hi Marguerite, thanks for stopping by! I've bookmarked your blog. Come back soon!

Patty said...

Oh ..First Made a Roux..the photo and thought of that po boy with the beautiful red onions is makin me crazy...over here at 10:43 pm
New Orleans time...

Shame on you ..."gurl"...!

Patty said...

Gotta go now ..First Make a Roux..I will be back!
Too pretty here and too interesting not to!

I send you the scent of all the night bloomin jasmine that is wafting from my backyard!

Make a Roux said...

Oh, the jasmine makes me homesick! We have some outside of our front door and I just get so homesick every time I smell it. :[

I am looking to pickle some okra next! Got any recipes, Patty?

Patty said...

First (comma does not work!)
Make a Roux...Yes the scent of jasmine will do that..won't it?

Re pickled okra...my mama used to do that ...although I never have..
I will look to see if she ever sent me a recipe for it but you know those New Orleans and Louisiana "mamas" regarding recipes...all the in the head and the heart...Yes?

If I find something I will post it for you...since pickled okra adds such a good zap to so much..
and is as a result a great side for so many things or just in itself when one is in the mood for a quick little intense flavor.

Spryte said...

These look delish!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...