Oh, vibrant pink, pickled goodness!
Pickled red onions go with anything and everything. And, when I mean everything, I'm serious -- on barbecue sandwiches, on burgers, in tacos, and chopped in bean dishes.
Here are some of the onions atop pulled chicken and remoulade po'boys:
Pickled Red Onions
2 - 3 medium red onions, thinly sliced
1 1/2 c red wine vinegar
1/4 c + 1 Tbsp sugar
pinch of salt
1 - 2 dried chipotle peppers (I highly recommend those from Penzey's Spices)
1) In a medium saucepan, boil the vinegar, sugar and salt.
2) Add the sliced onions and chipotle pepper and turn off the heat.
3) Let sit for 5 minutes.
4) Remove onions and pepper to a quart mason jar.
5) Pour in as much of the pickling liquid as possible.
6) Add seal and ring to the jar.
7) Let stand until cool.
Onions will keep in the fridge for 1 - 2 weeks.