Friday, August 28, 2009

Friday Cocktail #25 - The Day Before

Four years ago tomorrow, Hurricane Katrina made landfall at Buras, La.

I'll be rehashing a bit more on that here tomorrow. For now, here is a cocktail I'll call The Day Before.



This cocktail incorporates Peychaud's Bitters, which were invented in New Orleans and widely used in one of my favorite cocktails, the Sazerac.

Because I didn't have any rye around for a sazerac, I wondered what else I could pair with the bitters and eventually settled on sweet vermouth. As a garnish, I used a sprig of thyme, because it is widely used in Louisiana cooking.

I was pleasantly surprised at the results of my concoction -- the sweetness of the vermouth intermingled beautifully with the floral notes of the bitters.



Day Before Cocktail

1) Fill a cocktail glass halfway with ice.
2) Add 1 shot sweet vermouth and 3 good shakes of Peychaud's Bitters.
3) Top off with tonic or lemon seltzer.
4) Garnish with a sprig of thyme.

Drink to the pre-Katrina world.

1 red beans:

Patty said...

This is..a magnificent idea...cannot wait to try it...such a classic example of the New Orleans way of imagining through what one does not have to the creation of something in and of itself...lovely!

Great job...First Make a Roux

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...