Saturday, August 29, 2009

Four Years Ago Today

Four years ago today, a tragedy called Hurricane Katrina happened. Many people across the South, especially those in Louisiana and Mississippi were never the same again.

A culture and way of life were forever changed.

I am not from New Orleans proper, but I am from a small town not so far away, which made it tough enough to endure the horrors of Katrina. Wherever you may call home, think of how you would feel if the fabric of your heritage was torn asunder, never to be the same again.

14 red beans:

Patty said...

I AM from New Orleans and I really like your blog...great photos...of great lookin drinks..(the thyme and vermouth and bitters..sound wonderful...)
so First...where ya from...dawlin?
...Have you checked out the Roosevelt's new website? Total renovation back to its elegance..oh.."Da Sazerac Bar."..is back ...Have not gotten over there yet..but when Ah do...
I will have me a fine Ramos gin fizz and a Sazerac ...both lovely..yes?

I found you through a link with Old New Orleans Rum site..oh that amber rum simply on the rocks in an old fashioned glass is great...

I am an ole chick..from da ole New Orleans crew...and you...even in So Cal...clearly are continuing the traditions ....just fine...dawlin..
Keep it up!

Patty said...

Oh ..I forgot...I wanted to say that I really like your blog..great photos of drinks AND food..both look and "creations"
of them...

The beautiful tomato dish reminded me of something I am sure you have also done at some point..if not..you really should...

Great summer dish..sometimes all I eat at night..it is so hot..

thinnly sliced Creole tomatoes off the bush of course..thinnly sliced Vidalia onions..those sweet luscious beauties...and depending on mood either fresh basil...chopped up very well..or fresh thyme..or dill..with just some extra virgin olive oil..balsamic vinegar..little bit of salt depending on the saltiness of those great Creoles and a little shot of black pepper as well..Hot crispy french bread...real buttah as we say..and some iced tea with lemon and fresh spearmint...

Like that? I know you do!

Cheers...

Patty said...

One mo time...variation on the herbs here...lemon thyme or lemon basil or and this one you have to grow if you do not already..
lemon verbena...magnificent...

The lemon verbena has been shown to have more lemon essence taste even than a real lemon..(the best of which as I am sure you know is a Meyer lemon!)

And with the lemon verbena one also gets an additional bouquet rendered into food or iced tea that is lovel..

Ok...no more for now..see what happens when two New Orleanians..
(oh yes you are in your food soul!)
get together about food...

ongoing..conversation...

Later ...dawlin...

Make a Roux said...

Hi Patty! Thanks so much for your contributions and terrific suggestions! I hope that you will continue to visit me here and leave your insightful and tasty comments. :)

I grew lemon verbena last year. It reminded me so much of home. I regret that I didn't try it in a cocktail -- only had it in tea. Now I need to find a new plant, since mine bit the dust out here in CA.

I would love to publish more Cajun dishes, but I have a stepdaughter who is sometimes here and, because she is so picky, that kind of keeps me from cooking Cajun as often as I would like. :[

I'm from Vacherie, chere. Not NO, but close enough to love and appreciate the city! So glad you found my site through ONO Rum. Went to their pub crawl in December and am hoping to visit the distillery sometime soon. Thanks for the tip on Roosevelt's!

Make a Roux said...

Patty, love the sound of your tomato salad with French bread and buttah. I must say, it's the kind of thing I would eat at home alone, but (sadly) nothing that my yankee hubby would eat. Next time I can have dinner alone, I am all over this. Too bad one can't find a real Creole tom out here in Southern CA.

Patty said...

First Make a Roux...Vacherie..huh?
Oh no wonder your drink and food combinations and ideas are so fine!


My lemon verbena bit the dust also!
Apparently one must find just the right spot for them...(have to imagine SOME reason why here AND there they "croaked".

Just Sunday at a friend's house in Lakeview..(she and husband only got back into their house about a year ago but they are there and it is great!) I saw her lemon verbena ..huge in a big pot..and we both laughed..wondering now just what is responsible for this beauty...as she had had one pre Katrina and it had croaked as well!)

Hope you can find another plant..they are kind of hard to find here as well!

But they are certainly worth the hunt...aren't they? Yes!

Patty said...

First Make a Roux..Re the tomatoes...given the luscious looking ones in your tomato salad..I am sure they could please as well...the deal would be to find a Vidalia..
Have you seen the Vidalia onion website? It is fun!

Re stepdaughter and Yankee husband..re Cajun food and tomato dish...bread and water for them until they yearn for variety Louisiana style!!!

I send you good Louisian thoughts and I hope a visit sometime when you head over here to "Da Sazerac Bar" for a lovely Sazerac!

Theresa111 said...

Gracious! I just loved these comments and sure could use great people like you two in community discussions at Half Hour Meals. I cam by to check out your blog and to ask you to hang out. Please tap me on the shoulder in the shout box @ HHM. sheaing recipes and comfy conversations about food.

Theresa H Hall said...

Sorry for the typos! I really do know how to spell came and sharing. SOmetimes my fingers do not press the little keys properly.

t said...

Getting back to this post about the Hurricane Katrina. Throughout the year I will have something trigger my mind or The Weather Channel shows the horrendous event again. I do remember donating once in my Mother's name, she was in a nursing home and was unaware of this and once I did in our names. We prayed a lot and I still do because it was a tragedy of such a large proportion that we should continue to pray, donate, support and never forget.

Theresa111 said...

Getting back to this post about the Hurricane Katrina. Throughout the year I will have something trigger my mind or The Weather Channel shows the horrendous event again. I do remember donating once in my Mother's name, she was in a nursing home and was unaware of this and once I did in our names. We prayed a lot and I still do because it was a tragedy of such a large proportion that we should continue to pray, donate, support and never forget.

Julie said...

Can't believe that's only been 4 years. I was no where near it, but I remember watching the images on the screen and feeling so helpless.
Great looking drink!

Make a Roux said...

Patty, I should clarify -- my hubby would eat the tomatoes and French bread, but he would still be starved. There is no way that would be a meal for him! And for a yankee, he eats his fair share of Cajun food.

Hi Theresa, thanks for coming by. I'll be seeing you over at halfhourmeals.com. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Katrina.

Hi Julie, thanks for visiting. I think that the visuals on tv affected many people, even those who had no ties to the areas affected. It was a tragedy that should not be repeated anywhere...

Patty said...

First Make a Roux...Thanks for that important clarification about that Yankee of yours who knows how to eat well! Good for him..and I wish you and him many more wonderful Cajun and all other meals you imagine!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...