Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Chickpea Dip and Pita Pizzas

I have a friend who claims to be addicted to chickpeas. I think I could give her a run for her money on that claim, as I eat chickpeas at least once per week, if not more.



I answered my latest craving by whipping up a batch of hummus-like chickpea dip. I won't call it hummus exactly, because I didn't use tahini in it. I had tahini on hand, but was looking for something less fattening. I poked around in the fridge for a while, and then it hit me... low fat cottage cheese!



Chickpea Dip

1 1/2 c chickpeas
3/4 c low fat cottage cheese
2 cloves garlic, quartered
juice of 1 large lemon
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp kosher salt, or more to taste
pepper
smoked paprika
your favorite hot sauce
water (optional, for thinning)

1) Place chickpeas, cottage cheese, and garlic into a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
2) Process until mixture is well blended and no chickpeas are whole.
3) Add the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika and hot sauce.
4) Process again until the mixture is smooth.
5) For a thinner consistency, add water a tablespoon at a time and process until the mixture reaches desired consistency.
6) Adjust seasonings to taste.

I didn't thin mine much. It was so yummy and a nice departure from my regular hummus. The smoked paprika really added some oomph to it, too.



As if eating this yummy hummus on anything from chips to veggies wasn't enough, I threw it onto a whole wheat pita, topped it piles of yummy goodness, and called it pizza.



Chickpea Pita Pizzas

2 whole wheat pitas
1/2 cup chickpea dip (or hummus)
fresh tomatoes, sliced
2 Tbsp olive salad (NOT giardiniera; I recommend Boscoli or Rouse's brand Olive Salad)
2 tsp your favorite Italian seasoning or fresh herbs (I was lazy and used Penzey's Pizza Seasoning because I was too lazy to walk into the backyard to cut fresh herbs.)
1 c grated cheese (I used fontina and mozzarella)
salt & pepper, optional

Preheat broiler.
1) Place pitas on a pan and broil until slightly browned and crisp.
2) Remove from oven and flip pitas over.
3) Place pitas back into oven and broil slightly. You don't want to brown this side so much as dry it out.
4) Remove pitas from oven and spread each with 1/4 c of the chickpea dip or hummus.
5) Top each with a bit of the cheese, followed by tomatoes and/or olive salad.
6) Sprinkle remaining cheese over both pitas.
7) Sprinkle pitas with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
8) Return to broiler until cheese is hot and bubbly.

Serve with your favorite red wine. YUM!



7 red beans:

Bob said...

Those both look fantastic! I would eat more chickpeas, but my girlfriend doesn't care for them. Maybe I should trick her and slip them into things without telling...

onlinepastrychef said...

Hummus is my favorite. As far as I'm concerned, hummus and its parent chickpeas, are a food group unto themselves. If I make hummus, I will sit in front of the television and eat it all. I love tahini; I keep telling myself "it's good fat!" :lol:

Make a Roux said...

Hubby will eat them in soups and stews now

@onlinepastrychef -- I am by no means swearing off tahini. I don't think it's bad for you. I love it too much to give it up anyway. However, the combo of the cottage cheese and the chickpeas was really tasty and different. I'm still gonna eat hummus, too, though!

tallmisto said...

Hummus on pizza, this I'm sure will be my newest addiction. I've never thought to use cottage cheese in it. That would be good. Does it make it airier? Is that a word?

Tobermory said...

Chickpeas24 eats them, like, twice a day. You, my dear, are addicted to cottage cheese! ;)

Tobermory said...

Oh, and by the way, the very first hummus I made called for some toasted sesame seeds instead of tahini. It gives the yummy sesame flavor without so much fat.

Nuray said...

chickpeas24 here, i am the chickpea queen. i've been known to eat hummus at least once a day and sometimes open a can of chickpeas and just eat them plain like that. yumzzzz.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...