Friday, February 20, 2009

Quick Friday Dinner - Pepper Jack + Pepper Jelly

I didn't have to cook dinner for Hubby and SD tonight, so I grilled a ham and pepper jack cheese sandwich with pepper jelly for myself.



I didn't want the sandwich to be overly sweet from the pepper jelly, so I added some Creole mustard. The end result was a sandwich that was sweet, savory, tangy, and creamy. I omitted buttering the bread and used reduced fat cheese. The sandwich was so flavorful that I didn't miss the butter or full fat cheese at all.



Grilled Ham & Pepper Jack Cheese Sandwiches with Pepper Jelly
2 slices French or sourdough bread, cut on the bias into thin slices
Creole mustard
reduced fat pepper jack cheese
2 slices lean honey ham or smoked ham
pepper jelly
olive oil spray

1) Spray a grill pan with olive oil spray and heat on medium-high heat.
2) Spread one slice of bread with the mustard and the other slice with the pepper jelly.
3) Place the ham on top of the mustard-covered slice of bread.
4) Place the cheese on top of pepper jelly-covered slice of bread.
5) Place the sandwich together and place in grill pan.
6) Grill until cheese is melted, flipping as needed.

5 red beans:

misti said...

Okay, you combined two of my favorites...grilled cheese sandwich and pepper jelly. I'll be adding this to my "to-cook" list. :)

Katherine Aucoin said...

That is on clver combination, I would not have thought of but it has me drooling! Happy Lundi Gras!

onlinepastrychef said...

Fantastic idea! I make toaster oven pepper jack melty sammiches all the time, but it never occurred to me to put pepper jelly on it. Inspired:)

dessertobsessed said...

i LOVE pepper jack! sooooooooooo good! but what's pepper jelly?! i've never heard of it before!

Make a Roux said...

Misti-I hope you like it!

Katherine-Thanks! Hope you had a great Mardi Gras.

Onlinepastrychef-If you try it, let me know what you think.

DessertObsessed-Hey there! Pepper Jelly is just what it sounds like -- jelly made from hot pappers. It's hot AND sweet!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...