Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Try Me Grilled Chicken Stir Fry

It's January 20th and I'm still on my quest to eat healthier 90% of the time. Just the other day, I was in the mood for Chinese food, but I knew that takeout would be a bad idea because I tend to favor sauces that are on the sweeter side. A diet buster for sure.

Here's my substitute for sweet and sour sauce:
I make a small amount of sauce from pineapple juice, light soy sauce, Worcestershire, rice vinegar and a Cajun favorite -- Try Me Tiger Sauce.

Tiger Sauce is sweet and spicy and is good on just about anything. The best thing about it is that a little goes a long way.

This recipe is not very saucy, but you won't miss the big puddle of sweet and sour sauce. I promise!



I like to use leftover Cajun-seasoned grilled chicken breasts (steak would work, too) to add another dimension of flavor.

While this chicken stir fry isn't true Chinese food and it isn't truly healthy, it may help you satisfy your sweet and sour takeout cravings without completely blowing your diet.

Try Me Grilled Chicken Stir Fry
1/2 c no sugar added pineapple juice
1 tsp arrowroot starch
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp grated ginger
red onion, cut into chunks
yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
carrots, sliced thinly into coins
fresh green beans, cut into thirds
1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 Tbsp Try Me Tiger Sauce
1 Tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
1 1/2 c grilled chicken breast, sliced or diced
black pepper
red pepper flakes
brown Basmati rice

1) Stir the pineapple juice and arrowroot starch together to dissolve. Set aside.
2) Heat the oil on high heat in a wok or large skillet.
3) Add the garlic and saute' until softened.
4) Add the ginger, onion, bell pepper, carrot, green beans, soy sauce, and Worcestershire.
5) Stir-fry until the carrots are tender, but not overly soft.
6) Stir in the Tiger Sauce and mix well.
7) Stir in the chicken and cook for about 1 minute.
8) Push the veggies and chicken to the outer edges of the wok/skillet.
9) Stir the pineapple-cornstarch mixture again and add into the center of the wok/skillet.
10) Stir until sauce thickens and becomes translucent.
11) Stir veggies and chicken to incorporate them into the sauce.
12) Season with pepper and serve with brown rice.

Serves 4.

5 red beans:

Carol said...

This sounds so good.......
Thanks for visiting my blog.
I tried to find you on Facebook,
no luck...

Katherine Aucoin said...

Wow this sounds amazing! I have to try this.

The chickpeas are wonderful, we love them!

Ellen said...

I love Tiger Sauce and Chinese...YUM! My husband got a job right on the TX/LA border so we are now back in LA! Ah...Blue Bell land. Enjoyed your Christmas visit pics...I'm trying to get my blog working on Facebook. So far I've been unsuccessful.

foodvox said...

The photos from your visit home were astonishing. What gorgeous food - both out and about *and* at home. It's clear that you come from a line of really really good cooks!

Today I realized that I hadn't passed on the blog award thing, so I'm going to post it and send it along today . . .

Better late than never?
:)

Karen

thumbbook said...

Great posts and recipes! Im learning a lot about Cajun cooking from you! Hope you can drop by also at Foodista.com Would also love a link to your blog from our site. Here's how you can create inbound links from our site, Check it out here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...