Saturday, January 3, 2009

Smoky Black-eyed Pea and White Bean Salsa with Chimichurri

I'm still alive. Just enjoying the weekend before getting back to (GASP!) a full week of work. I really don't know how I'll do it. I've become so accustomed to both lazing about, and to starting five kitchen projects at once.


Speaking of kitchen projects, I whipped up a yummy chimichurri-like sauce after trimming back some of the herbs in my garden.

(NOTE: Here's some of that chimichurri poured over a chicken that I roasted while lazing about on another one of my vacation days.)


Back to more kitchen projects -- I concocted a few tasty recipes that I served up to my guests on New Year's Eve. One of them was a black-eyed pea salsa that incorporated some of my chimichurri. It was super-easy to pull together because I didn't have to chop a boatload of herbs to make it.


If you don't like the idea of salsa, you can try the combination of salsa ingredients with plain yogurt for a creamy and good-for-you dip. Because, hey, this IS the New Year and we're all eatin' healthy now! Right?

One more thing -- don't skip the smoked paprika and the ground chipotle in the salsa. They really make it worth eating!

Smoky Black-eyed Pea and White Bean Salsa (or Dip)

1 c black-eyed peas (boiled or canned and drained)
1 c white beans (boiled or canned and drained)
1 medium tomato (peeled, seeded and drained)
1/4 c roasted red or orange bell pepper, chopped
1 T shallot, minced
1/2 c plain lowfat yogurt (for dip only)

chimichurri sauce (commercially prepared or homemade (recipe below))
smoked paprika
ground chipotle
salt
black pepper
hot sauce (I used Tabasco Chipotle)

To make salsa:
1) Combine first five ingredients in a bowl.
2) Stir to combine.
3) Season to taste with chimichurri sauce, smoked paprika, ground chipotle, salt, pepper, and hot sauce.

To make dip:

1) Proceed with salsa instructions above.
2) Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse several times.
3) Add yogurt to mixture and process to desired smoothness.
4) Adjust seasonings as necessary.

Serve salsa or dip chilled or at room temperature.


Kind of Chimichurri Sauce
3 cloves garlic, halved
1 c parsley
1 c arugula
1/4 c cilantro
2 T oregano leaves
1/2 c white wine vinegar
juice of one lime
several shakes of Tabasco Green hot sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp honey

1) Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until completely blended into a sauce.
2) Adjust seasonings, as needed.

7 red beans:

nan said...

That sounds REALLY good! I'll have to add that to my list of things to make!

Karen said...

The salsa sounds so good! My daughter gave me a can of smoked paprika in my Christmas stocking and I'm anxious to use it.

foodvox said...

Great combination of ingredients - plus you get a bang for your buck of time spent, since it can be done so quickly!

That chipotle powder can be dangerous, though. :) I use it together with a bit of maple syrup and lime juice as a glaze for grilled salmon and once I decided it was just so good I'd double the amount.

Great tasting but then it looked sort of silly to have tears running out our eyes from the heat as we ate it . . .!

Katherine Aucoin said...

Yum! The salsa looks and sounds so good. A more inventive way to have black eyed peas on New Years than serving them as a side to my cabagge and ham.

tallmisto said...

OH man, I'm drooling. I love chimicurri sauce, but I usually buy Trader Joes. I've gotta make my own. I love it with chicken! OOOH and steak, I like steak. Ok, I need food now.

Anonymous said...

I can say for certain that the New Year's Bean/black eyed pea Chimichurri thing was delicious!

So was all the other food too come to think of it...



M2

dessertobsessed said...

wow, looks like you had a wonderful holiday!! and a delicious one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...