Saturday, January 17, 2009

Quick Swiss Chard Sauté

When you were a kid, did your parents have to bribe you to eat your greens?

Mine never had to. I ate plenty of greens, though they were mostly mustard or turnip greens. They were either sautéed or incorporated into a greens gumbo (gumbo z'herbes/gumbo verte) and served over rice.

As an adult, I discovered Swiss chard, which is now one of my favorite greens. It goes well with just about anything, and is pretty easy to prepare.



After harvesting a whole mess of the stuff from my garden, I threw together this quickly sautéed dish of Swiss chard and one of my favorite spice blends. That spice blend was the Sicilian Salad Sprinkle from Penzey's. It's a combination of romano cheese, salt, red pepper, toasted onion, and basil, which made a wonderful complement to the chard.



Quick Swiss Chard Sauté

1 1/2 tsp olive oil
1 - 2 cloves garlic, minced
a whole mess of Swiss chard leaves (washed, dried, and de-stemmed up to leaves)*
1/2 tsp Penzey's Sicilian Salad Sprinkle
Freshly cracked black pepper

1) Chop the chard into bite-sized pieces.
2) Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
3) Add the garlic to the pan and sauté until softened and aromatic.
4) Add the chard to the pan, sprinkle on the Sicilian Salad Sprinkle, and stir to coat the leaves with the garlic, olive oil, and seasoning.
5) Set the heat to low and cook about 4 - 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not let the chard overcook.
6) Season with black pepper.

Serve the Swiss chard with a fried egg and some whole wheat toast for a simple and hearty dinner.

* You can save the Swiss chard stems for use in other longer-cooking dishes.

5 red beans:

Desmone007 said...

Thanks for that recipe! It sure sounds good.
I thought you might be interested in sharing your recipes and cooking tips with us at Foodista - the cooking encyclopedia everyone can edit!
We also have small embeddable widgets that can help you build traffic from Foodista-related pages. Check it out here. I look forward to more of your great recipes!

Geggie said...

I've been putting chard in everything lately. tasty!

tallmisto said...

I made gumbo z'herbes this week (a la Emeril) and was going to ask you if you make these. It seemed to me just greens over rice, but it was tasty. My kids loved them. I'll have to give swiss chard a go. Maybe they'll eat those too.

Anonymous said...

Hey GG,

Yeah I was gonna ask you too...what's this "gumbo z'herbes" that you speak of? Sounds kinda interesting.

m2

Make a Roux said...

Ah, great questions, tallmisto and m2.

Greens gumbo or gumbo verte or gumbeaux z'herbes is (basically) greens over rice. Generally, we use a combination of mustard, turnip, collard, rocket (arugula). You can also use poke and dandelion. Some preparations are soupier than others. Some also call for the addition of red beans. (I like adding beans for a kick of protein.) I have to admit that I haven't cooked this since I got married -- just can't imagine Hubby eating it. My mom just gives me my fix when i go to visit her. :) Now I'm craving some! Maybe I'll make some anyway and freeze individual portions for my lunches.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...