Sunday, November 23, 2008

Pumpkin, Veggie, and Turbodog Soup

Last night's dinner was a quick improvisational act. It was a dance between fridge, freezer, pantry, and stove.

Other than having in mind that I wanted to make soup, I didn't know exactly what kind of soup I wanted.


I went to the freezer, rummaged around, and found a package of pumpkin that I'd pureed and another package of roasted veggies (this is what I did with the first package). With the basis of the soup firmly decided, I looked around for anything else I could throw in, which is how I ended up throwing in one of my favorite ales -- Abita Turbodog.


The Turbodog, with its caramel notes, was just the thing to compliment the pumpkin in the soup. In turn, the pumpkin gave the soup a heartier consistency, thus making my little improvisation a success.


Pumpkin, Veggie, and Turbodog Soup
1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
1/2 c onion, chopped
1/2 celery, chopped
1 - 2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c chickpeas (boiled or canned, drained)
1 1/2 c navy beans (boiled or canned, drained)
2 1/2 c roasted vegetables (I used yellow squash, cherry tomatoes, green beans, onions, broccoli, green peppers, mushrooms, and yellow peppers)
14 oz can fire roasted tomatoes (I used Muir Glen)
1 bottle Abita Turbodog
1 c vegetable broth (more if you want a thinner soup)
1 tsp Greek seasoning
1 tsp Creole seasoning
2 c pumpkin puree
Salt and Pepper to taste

1) Saute the onion, celery, carrots and garlic in olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
2) When carrots are beginning to soften, add the chickpeas, navy beans, roasted vegetables, and tomatoes.
3) Saute for approximately 5 minutes, then add the Turbodog, broth, and seasonings.
4) Bring up to a boil, then turn down the heat.
5) Stir in the pumpkin puree and simmer for 10 minutes.
5) Remove from heat. Adjust seasonings, if necessary.

5 red beans:

foodvox said...

That looks delicious. :)

And all created by the skill of the cook? No recipe?

Kudos!

Make a Roux said...

Thanks!

heh. heh. I wish it had been a more fabulous, more fanciful creation. Alas, it was just a rustic little soup. After a few bites, though, I figured it was a keeper and I rushed to get everything written down after the fact. :)

Sophie said...

Wow! What a great improv soup! It sounds so filling and packed full of flavor. I like how it's much heartier than a traditional pumpkin soup. I'd love to feature your recipe on our blog, please let me know if you're interested.

Make a Roux said...

Hi Sophie,
Thanks a bunch! Yes, I'd be honored to have you feature my recipe. Thanks for asking!

Anonymous said...

Dang! That looks like a yummy soup!


m2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...