Tuesday, October 7, 2008

No More Costco Birthday Cakes!

"NO MORE COSTCO BIRTHDAY CAKES!" Just imagine Faye Dunaway saying that in her best Joan Crawford voice, and you'll know how much disdain I have for grocery store or 'big box' store cakes!

I really can't say "no more" Costco cakes, though, since I have NEVER allowed such abominations into our house! I always make my own cakes for special occasions. (If, for any reason, I can't make the cake myself, then there just isn't any cake!)

This year, like many years before, I made my own birthday cake.


So, what did I want this year?

A Valrhona cocoa cake with a thin filling of brown sugar buttercream, whipped ganache frosting and toffee peanuts:


Happy Birthday to who? TO ME! Damnit!


Making my own birthday cake took the sting out of this year's less-than-fun birthday. It's amazing how much a yummy chocolate cake can help temper my stock-market- and stepkid-anxiety.

At least until it's all gone...

7 red beans:

nan said...

Happy Birthday...that cake looks amazing!

Feel free to send me one for my birthday! ;-)

alison said...

Happy Birthday - hope you have a great one - cake looks absolutely brilliant and love the "happy birthday to me!"

reneep said...

yay for birthdays! You had me at the first mention of toffee peanuts. Heck, for me, just stick the candle right in a big ol pile of 'em.

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Hey Nan! How bout we work out a trade? You send me some of your gumbo on my bday and I'll send you a cake on your bday! ;)

Thanks, Alison! And thanks for the FABULOUS chutneys!

Miss Reneep, I'm thinking that your homemade peanut brittle would be delicious with this cake!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated b'day, GumboGal!

Thank you so much for sending me some of this fabulous cake - yeah I had to sample some at 830 this morning - why not??

Absolutely delicious too btw.

m2

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Thanks, m2! Glad to hear enjoyed the cake... for breakfast! :)

Geggie said...

I knew we were kindred spirits. I'm an October baby too. So sorry I missed you in SD. I'll be in OC next month, maybe we can meet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...