Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Black Bean & Rice Salad with a Twist

Okay, okay. I know I made a promise to you and I know that this is a salad, but I was craving beans and rice in some form. The results were good enough for sharing. (Yeah, I'm nice that way.) Can you forgive me? PLEASE???

Thanks!

(Sorry about the crappy iPhone photo. I was hungry and the batteries in my camera were dead. Forgive me again?)

I gave my black bean and rice salad a new spin with lots of lemon (instead of lime) juice and the addition of barbecue sauce.

Try this salad at your next get-together. Your guests won't taste the barbecue sauce, but they will notice the smokiness in the background.

Black Bean & Rice Salad with a Twist
olive or canola oil spray
1 small zucchini, grated
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 c extra long grain white or basmati rice, cooked and cooled to room temp
1 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
juice of half a large lemon
1 Tbsp of your favorite smoky bbq sauce
1 Tbsp cilantro, minced
1 Tbsp parsley, minced
1/4 c green onions, chopped
Creole seasoning or seasoning salt
freshly cracked black pepper

1) Spray a small pan with olive or canola oil.
2) Saute the garlic and zucchini with a sprinkle of Creole seasoning or seasoned salt over medium heat until garlic is fragrant and zucchini is tender.
3) In a medium or large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and stir gently to mix.
4) Adjust seasonings to taste and add more lemon and/or bbq sauce to your liking.

I considered tossing in some crumbled feta, but didn't. I know it sounds criminal to forego cheese, but I'd already had some cottage cheese for lunch. I'm sure I'll add the feta (and maybe some red onion) next time.

0 red beans:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...