Thursday, July 10, 2008

Friday Cocktail Time #12 - Vodka Watermelon Cocktail

In the South, you know you're at a real summer party when someone shows up with The Vodka Watermelon.

The Vodka Watermelon is a watermelon with a hole drilled in the top and vodka poured in. A cork is put in the hole to avoid violating open container laws when taking the watermelon to the party. The resulting watermelon is cut up at the party and is refreshing with a tipsy edge.



This watermelon cocktail echoes The Vodka Watermelon in drinkable form.


I'm not actually having a party today, but I do have something to celebrate -- the dismissal of probably the worst manager I have ever had in my fairly long work life. And, no, I'm not being mean. I am being truthful. Even though I have had bosses who did not quite understand what I did, they were all competent enough not to put roadblocks in my way. This boss just didn't get it, and I am so very glad and fortunate that he is gone. Good riddance.

Cheers to my co-workers who actually understand this dilemma. And cheers to the really excellent boss that I lost a few months ago. Things happened too late and we lost you, but you laid the groundwork for us and you set the standard for excellence.

Vodka Watermelon Cocktail
1 1/2 C, ice
2 - 3 C watermelon, chunked
1/2 C, vodka
2 Tbsp orange or lime juice
1 Tbsp agave nectar
1 Tbsp kosher salt
mint sprig (optional)

1) Place all ingredients except for the mint in a blender.
2) Pulse until thoroughly blended.
3) Serve in a rocks glass with a sprig of mint.
4) CELEBRATE!

5 red beans:

Tobermory said...

Really excellent boss! I'm gonna call her REB from now on. (Though that may have implications for you southerners.)

For anyone who thinks "Aw, everyone's boss sucks. GG is just being a baby," I can attest that this one was something special in incompetence.

PS, GG, that last pic of the cocktail is especially awesome.

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Yes! That's it! REB (Really Excellent Boss) and NEB (Not Excellent Boss).

Okay, what are the implications for us Southerners? Do tell, honey child.

Thanks for the backup and for all the support and good advice you provided during 'the swirl'.

RE: the photo - artistic, huh? :P

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

That looks really delicious and perfect for this summertime heat down here in FL. I am gonna be making this one real soon!

Glad your work situation is about to get better!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the removal of the terrible boss - glad you had a proper cocktail to celebrate that - didn't think that Wahoo Wheat beer despite its tastiness did the job!

m2

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Jenn - Thanks! Hope this drink helps you cool off!

M2 - You're right. That Wahoo Wheat wasn't enough. I'll be having LOTS of cocktails to celebrate. (No more drowning my work sorrows!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...