It's too hot to cook!
Here in SoCal, the mercury has been on the rise. Some days, it seems that even the central AC can't keep up, making hanging out by the stove a little less inviting. I've been grilling or preparing dishes that require minimal cooking.
This green bean and carrot salad is simple, requires only quick blanching, and gets lots of flavor from garlic, herbs, and lemon zest.
Green Bean Carrot Salad
1 lb green beans, washed, trimmed, and cut into 2" pieces
1 - 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into thin coins
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp grated lemon zest
1 Tbsp fresh oregano, minced
1 Tbsp fresh dill, minced
1/2 tsp + 1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
kosher or sea salt
freshly cracked pepper
1) Saute' garlic in 1/2 tsp olive oil until aromatic. Set aside.
2) Blanch the green beans until tender but still crisp, then cool in ice water.
3) Blanch carrots until just tender, then cool in ice water.
4) Drain carrots and greens and place in large bowl.
5) Add garlic, zest, oregano, dill, lemon juice, vinegar, and 1 Tbsp olive oil to veggies.
6) Toss and season to taste with salt and pepper.
You can serve this salad chilled or at room temperature. Either way, it makes a nice accompaniment to grilled chicken or fish.