Monday, July 7, 2008

Calling All Displaced Louisianians - Eat at Bud's!

Calling all displaced, homesick Louisianians and people who love Cajun and Creole food -- Bud's is back!

Bud's has been in San Diego for a while, but it left its original location (Bud's Louisiana Food Shoppe) a while back. Unfortunately for me, I hadn't heard of them until I'd heard the news of the closing. It seems that all my San Diego friends just assumed I'd already known about Bud's! Having never tried it yet and having heard raves about it, I was sad to see the place go.

Luckily for me, Bud's is back with a new location in Tierrasanta.

Hubby, our friend M2, and I arranged to meet up at Bud's for a late lunch and an early start to our Fourth of July weekend.

Y'all should know that I am very skeptical about restaurants in California trying to pull off Louisiana food, but as soon as I noticed both a Cajun and a Creole jambalaya on Bud's menu, I knew that I was in store for some authentic food.

Hubby was running late, so M2 and I grabbed a couple of jalepeno corn muffins to start. Wow! Fresh jalepenos, sweet cornbread, and a generous helping of black pepper made these some of the best corn muffins I've ever had.

Bud's menu is filled with some Louisiana classics, which made it hard for me to decide on lunch. I contemplated the red beans and rice, the shrimp po'boy, and the gumbo, but ultimately decided on the andouille po'boy. This is a real Louisiana sammich and I just HAD to have it.


Hubby had the fried shrimp po'boy.


M2 had the fried erstah (that's oyster to you 'regular folk') po'boy.


All of our po'boys were scrumptious. The bread was perfect. The andouille was lean and spicy, the seafood fried to absolute perfection, the remoulade was tasty, and the Creole mustard... well, it was really Creole mustard! :)

For dessert, we shared the bread pudding, which was fantastic and served just the way I like it. Rather than giving us a congealed lump of wet bread, we got wonderful traditional egg custard filled with chunks of quality French bread and topped with a white chocolate sauce and toasted pecans. The bread still had a wonderful chew to it, which is what I look for in a bread pudding. And there was nary a raisin in sight.

We had a wonderful time talking to Bud and to a wonderful female chef (wish I'd gotten her name)! She was very cool and even talked to me about my blog and to M2 about his and his son's love of hot sauce.

I am so thrilled to know that there's a place I can go to get my Louisiana favorites without having to cook all of them myself--especially the fried seafood, which is something I don't like to cook at home.

Please be sure to check out Bud's Louisiana Cafe'. Bud and his staff have the two main qualities of true Louisianians--they'll feed you well and make you feel right at home.

Tell them Make a Roux sent you!

Bud's Louisiana Cafe
10425 Tierrasanta Blvd, #105
San Diego, CA 92124

8 red beans:

Katie said...

I've never tried true Louisiana cooking, but I've always been interested. That looks and sounds great!

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Thanks, Katie!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

YAY! I am so glad you found a place that truly tastes of home! :)

Anonymous said...

"Mr. Bud". I bet she would love that moniker!

-Boss Lady

sam said...

I echo your post -- I am also a displaced New Orleanian, and it's very difficult to find true, authentic Cajun food here in San Diego. My wife and I went today to Bud's Cafe and had the Crawfish Etouffee (tasty but small) and Fried Shrimp Po-boy (also tasty, and the bread is great). I was pretty pleased with the quality and flavor - yum! One thing you may find of interest is that from time to time, Bud has boiled crawfish flown in from N.O. (Too bad the season is just about over. :( ) The flavor is really authentic, and even though it's already cooked and refrigerated when I picked up it, he gave me some boil mix for me to warm it up at home -- delish! I've tried the crawfish at restaurants on Convoy and in Santa Ana; while the flavor is 'interesting', it's not bad, I suppose... but Bud's crawfish is so much better. ANYWAY, I'll be returning soon to Bud's to try some other dishes!

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Hi Sam,
I'm glad to see another Louisianian commenting here. I hope Bud will have crawfish at some point. If not this season, then maybe next. It would be great to have a crawfish fix without having to have it flown in. (I don't know enough people in SD who would help me eat an entire sack of crawfish.)

Thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

Just as a side note...

The seafood bisque at Bud's (I'm eating some right now) is just plain outstanding. Delicious. Incredible. Like Nirvana in a (to-go) bowl I'm tellin' ya.

m2

Anonymous said...

I was just going to call to find out where they get their crawfish from... Being from the Crawfish Capital of the World, I'm pretty picky about where my crawfish is born and raised!

Wish they had better hours so the wife and I could make it out there at a decent time but oh well.

And if you ever want to split a sack, just lemme know. I have a few folks back home who'll ship out fresh caught already purged SELECT crawfish overnight.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...