Thursday, July 10, 2008

Cajun Word of the Week #5 - Loup-Loup

loup-loup [lu lu]
–noun

A monster or other scary, imaginary being that will frighten a child. Can be used to convince a child to do what you've told them to do.

Often preceded by le gros, which signifies that the monster is BIG!

Ex. "If you don't go to sleep right now, le gros loup-loup will get you!"

My parents didn't often use this one on me, but I sure do remember many times growing up when my sister told me that "the loup-loup" was gonna get me. That's what happens when you share a room with your sister, who happens to be three years older and wiser than you are.

I'll admit it. I was scared of the loup-loup!

2 red beans:

Omar said...

Hi Gal,

What's the phrase for "to run around the house like a crazy person?" Something like "rout a rout?"

Best,
Omar

Gumbeaux Gal said...

LOL! Omar, what a great question!

Where I come from, we say "make rougarou", which means to run around like a crazy person/animal. I do think that I have also heard "rougarou" by itself as a way to refer to a wolf/monster/scary thing!

Oh, man. I might have to use that one for the Cajun Word of the Week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...