Thursday, July 3, 2008

Cajun Word of the Week #4 - floptaba

floptaba [flop tah bah]
–noun

Horsefly. A very large fly that is common in South Louisiana in the summertime when the weather is hot and humid.

Ex. "Mon dieu! A floptaba just bit me!"

I was reminded of this word today when I noticed a very old scar on my arm. I got it back when I was mowing the lawn as a teenager. I felt a searing pain in my right arm, and then looked down to see a long and prolific stream of blood flowing out from what looked like a hole in my bicep. The culprit was long gone, but I put two and two together as I'd been swatting at several horseflies while driving the riding mower and I'd also remembered my parents' relating stories of painful bites they'd experienced in the past. The bite of a floptaba hurts, but you don't usually feel it until it's flown away.

2 red beans:

Anonymous said...

I live for these entries! Esp., since tho we dont work together anymore, I appreciate that I can still experience Gumbeaux Gal's Magical Childhood.

Over and out, Boss Lady

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Awwwwwww! Thanks, Miss Boss Lady. I hope to continue regaling you with more Tales of my Magical Childhood. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...