Saturday, June 28, 2008

Grilled Stuffed Zucchini with Feta and Herbs

The first of my zucchini have shown up! As I went out to harvest the first zukes of my crop, I wondered what I'd make with them. Right then, the craving for stuffed zucchini with feta and herbs hit me.

I happened to be out grilling steaks and yukon gold potatoes, so I took advantage of the side burner to cook the stuffing and used the rest of the space on the grill to cook the zukes prior to stuffing them. After stuffing, all they need is a quick finish under the broiler and you're done. No summertime super-heating of your kitchen required!


Grilled Stuffed Zucchini
2 medium zucchini, stem end cut off
olive oil
kosher salt
freshly cracked black pepper
cayenne pepper
1/4 c panko breadcrumbs
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp onion, minced
3 - 4 leaves of fresh basil, minced
3 - 4 leaves of fresh sage, minced
2 oz reduced fat Feta cheese, crumbled

1) Halve the zucchini lengthwise. Place the zucchini on a cutting board with cut sides facing up. If the zukes seem unstable, cut a small slice from the undersides (the side with the peeling) to make them lay flat.
2) Using a teaspoon, scoop out the flesh of the zucchini, leaving about 1/4 inch border. Set aside the zucchini flesh for the stuffing.
3) Remove any seeds from the zucchini flesh and discard. Coarsely chop the remaining zucchini flesh and set aside.
4) Coat or mist the zucchini lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill on medium heat for about 1 - 2 minutes per side or until tender but not soft.
5) Heat oven broiler to high.
6) In a small saute' pan, heat about 1 tsp olive oil on medium high. Saute the garlic and onion until softened, then add the zucchini to soften and cook through. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Stir in the feta and breadcrumbs. Adjust seasonings if needed. Set aside.
7) Stuff mixture evenly into zucchini halves. Place on a cookie sheet and broil just until lightly browned on top. About 1 - 2 minutes.

Makes a great side dish or light vegetarian lunch.

3 red beans:

Ellen said...

This looks yummy. I am growing squash this year but no zucchini. I'll have to buy some and give this a try. I enjoy your blog.

Anonymous said...

YOW! Now that's what I'm talkin' about - those look really great - definitely looks like a perfect summer dish.

I'm guessin' yer hubby hardly noticed 'em next to the big o' steaks.

m2

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Thanks, Ellen! I'm enjoying your blog, too. Love your pug photos and food descriptions!

M2, you're almost right! Hubby noticed them, but didn't touch 'em! Oh, well. More for me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...