Thursday, June 12, 2008

Cajun Word of the Week #1 - Grismie

Bonjour friends!
As part of my goal to share my Louisiana culinary heritage with those less fortunate... hehe... er... those from other places, I'm starting the Cajun Word of the Week. These words (and sometimes phrases) are derived from a rich gumbo of people speaking many languages. Some words I know only in the spoken sense, so I may not be spelling them correctly, but please know that I do my due diligence in researching them all prior to posting them. Some words may be so very regional as to be unknown to folks who grew up 20 miles away from me.

Without further ado, I bring to you our first Cajun Word of the Week!


Grismie [gree-mee]

–noun
1. The golden brown bits left over in a pan after an item is roasted or baked.
2. Tiny bits of fried food.
Pl. grismies

1) Be sure to scrape the grismies from the pan of baked chicken so you can make a tasty gravy!
2) Hey, Mama! Save me the grismies from the fish fry! They're so crunchy and tasty!

Gumbeaux's Note: Quite possibly based on miettes, the French word for crumbs

5 red beans:

Geggie said...

mmmmm, grismies!!

Now, I'm from LA, but I'm no cajun. I'm first generation American that just ended up in LA...it's home, but I don't have a connection to the heritage other than growing up and learning from friends' families. I love this stuff!

Thanks for visiting my blog, too. I'm in my own funk. Should we throw a pity party?

Gumbeaux Gal said...

@Geggie - Well, I have to tell you that you have a lot more Louisiana experience than many people I've met through this blog. Sometimes I feel silly that I grew up with my own little language taught to me by my parents, grandparents, and relatives, but I'm grateful to peeps like you who can appreciate it! :)

ARGH! Yes, we must commence with the Pity Party forthwith!!

I'll bring the Campari!

Nanette said...

Hey Gumbeaux Gal!

I've never heard the term grismies. We always used the term "graton" for those brown bits in the bottom of the pot.

Funny how we each had our own words for the same thing!

I love this feature and I look forward to your future words of the week.

Nanette

Blake said...

I'm not sure if we have a word for this from where I'm from (Central Louisiana). That area isn't as inspired as South Louisiana, so we probably just called it brown bits...or better yet, beige bits.

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Nanette - we use mostly use "graton" in reference to the cracklins' (fried skin with layer of fat and little meat) from the hog killing (boucherie), but we've also used it in place of "grismie"!

Blake - LOL! "Beige Bits!" I think you've got a new product there!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...