Sunday, May 4, 2008

Portobello and Gruyere Thin Crust Pizza


Mmm. I love thin crust pizzas and, ever since I mastered Peter Reinhart's Napoletana pizza dough, I haven't been able to stop thinking of a sauceless mushroom pizza with gruyere cheese and prosciutto.

This recipe is pretty flexible. I've included measurements where I actually paid attention to them. However, you could wing it and it would still turn out great.

I won't include the Peter Reinhart Napolatana recipe here because I'm always afraid of violating a copyright. However, you can find it in his book, American Pie, or on several places on the Internet.

Here's a nice shot of just how thin and crisp the crust is...

Portobello and Gruyere Thin Crust Pizza
6 oz ball of pizza dough
2 tsp olive oil
1 large shallot, thinly sliced
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 large or 3 medium portabello mushrooms, cleaned, halved, and sliced
splash of balsamic vinegar
1 tsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
gruyere cheese, shredded
mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 slices prosciutto, cut into small pieces (omit for vegitarian pizza)
4 basil leaves, chiffonaded
kosher salt
fresh cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 500 degrees or as high as your oven goes.

1) Saute' the shallots and garlic in the olive oil on med-high heat until fragrant and softened.
2) Add the mushrooms, balsamic, and oregano to the pan and saute' until all the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated.
3) Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
4) Stretch out pizza dough to about 12 inches in diameter.
5) Sprinkle a layer of gruyere directly onto dough.
5) Follow with the mushroom mixture, distributing it evenly over the cheese.
6) Sprinkle on a very light layer (about half the amt of gruyere used) of mozzarella over mushrooms.
7) Sprinkle on the basil and prosciutto evenly.
8) If desired, season with pepper. (You could also add a splash of olive oil on top, but I didn't feel it was necessary.)
9) Bake until dough is golden brown in color, and the cheese is melted, bubbly, and somewhat golden.

6 red beans:

Anonymous said...

yum...

i'm waiting for john to finish grilling some carne asada. mmmm... meat.

from: the new nuray that can't seem to get enough meat these days

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Ha! Then this pizza is not for you. You need one with the works! You carnivore, you!

Tobermory said...

Sometimes, I catch her looking over at me and I just know she's picturing me as a big prime rib.

Anonymous said...

crap, you've caught me lookin'?

nuray

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Watch out, Tobermory! I've noticed that she's taken to wearing a bottle of steak sauce in a holster.

kittie said...

lol - I'm confused by the comments, but the pizza still looks great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...