Friday, May 16, 2008

Friday Cocktail Time #7 - Not Your Average Vodka Tonic and Absolut New Orleans Found!




I'm a vodka tonic girl through and through. I consume way too many of these little babies, sometimes prompting me to announce to Hubby, "I'm gonna start drinking a new drink!"

Hmm... Old habits die hard and I really do love my vodka tonics. That brings me to this post.

I've been out of vodka since last weekend (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!), but I finally picked some up today at my local grocery store. Now, usually, I like to buy my booze at BevMo or have Hubby pick it up at Costco. I was pretty lucky to have wandered into the grocery store today, though, as I discovered many bottles of Absolut New Orleans!

Absolut New Orleans was released last year in July and, to my disappointment was not available out here in San Diego. I looked in several places and was peeved that I was unable to find it. Luckily for me, I finally found some! Now, I'm trying to find out whether these are from last year, or if more have been released this year.

Absolut New Orleans has a mango and black pepper flavor and 100% of sales profits go to New Orleans charities. A worthy cause, I'd say.

I was so excited to get home and try out my alcohol-for-a-noble-cause. I tasted it neat and could identify the mango, but the black pepper was only faintly there. Once I added ice and tonic, the black pepper was no longer perceptible. Still, this was a pleasant-tasting vodka and I decided to experiment with it.

I wondered to myself how I could make the vodka taste a little more New Orleans-y and I thought of three things that are commonly around when friends and family meet up for casual dinner -- Tabasco, pickled okra, and pickled onions!

This drink combines some N.O. flavors with Absolut New Orleans and a little bit of citrus for good measure.

Not Your Average Vodka Tonic - N.O. Vodka Tonic
1 1/2 oz Absolute New Orleans vodka
1/2 tsp vinegar from pickled okra jar (Zatarain's, Cajun Chef, Old South, or Taste of Texas)
1/4 tsp vinegar from pickled onion jar (Zatarain's or Cajun Chef)
two generous splashes Tabasco sauce
3 cocktail onions
1 pickled okra
2 orange wedges
tonic
ice

Pour the vodka into a rocks glass and add the vinegars, Tabasco, and two of the onions.
Add a squeeze of one orange wedge and drop wedge into glass.
Add a handful of ice cubes to the glass, top with tonic, and stir gently.
Garnish with okra, onion, and the remaining orange wedge.

Ça c'est bon, chere!

If you get a chance to buy some Absolut New Orleans, please do. Visit here to vote for the next US city to be interpreted as an Absolut flavor.


PS - This drink is dedicated to my friend and co-worker, Tobermory. Tobermory, I know you've had a stressful couple of weeks. This one is for you!

4 red beans:

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Gumbeaux Gal,
I discovered your blog via the foodie blog roll. I am so glad I did.

Boy, oh boy, that cocktail sounds like something I could use right about now. I'm a Vodka Tonic, wine drinking girl myself...I love the idea of an Absolut New Orleans

GREAT post. I need to go now, explore some more...

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Hi Louise!
I'm so glad you stopped by because I checked your profile and am now enjoying all three of your blogs, especially http://monthsofediblecelebrations.blogspot.com/! :)

Cheers!

Tobermory said...

Tobermory thinks you're awesome and is going to try dang hard to invent a somewhat savory cocktail while you are on vacation in NOLA (where Tobermory wants to go).

Gumbeaux Gal said...

LOL! I think you're awesome, too! I'm ready to find out what kind of cocktail you came up with in my absence. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...