Sunday, April 20, 2008

McQuade's Chutney Review and Ginger Chutney-Cream Cheese Sandwich Cookies



If you've been reading my blog (or any number of other food blogs) lately, you know all about BlakeMakes and his idea to connect bloggers with new food products.

As part of my participation as a BlakeMakes SooperHero, I was picked to receive a jar of McQuade's Fig and Ginger Celtic Chutney.

I got my sample last week and tried it out simply on a chunk of French bread. The chutney had a heady scent and was tart, spicy, and barely sweet all at the same time. True to its name, there were huge chunks of fig and ginger, complimented with pleasantly plump golden raisins and a whole host of spices.

One condition of my being given the chutney, was that I provide a suggestion as to what I'd do with it if I won some. My initial suggestion was to substitute it for fig preserves in my favorite grilled cheese and fig sandwich. While that is a treatment I'm certain to try, today I opted to use my chutney as a sandwich filling for some of my homemade soft and chewy gingerbread cookies.

I rolled out my own gingerbread dough, cut it with a flower-shaped cutter, and baked the cookies up. As soon as the cookies cooled, I sandwiched them together with a chutney-cream cheese filling. When combined with cream cheese and powdered sugar, the sweet/tart/spicy/vinegary chutney provided a perfect compliment to the spicy gingerbread cookies.

Ginger Chutney-Cream Cheese Sandwich Cookies
homemade gingerbread cookies or store-bought soft gingerbread cookies
3 oz McQuade's Fig and Ginger Chutney
1 lb cream cheese
1/2 c powdered sugar
1/2 tsp lemon juice

1) Place the chutney, cream cheese, sugar, and lemon juice in a food processor and pulse until fairly smooth. The mixture should be firm enough not to run when placed on a cookie. (Add more cream cheese to achieve a firmer mixture.)
2) Spread the mixture on one cookie and press on a second cookie, creating a sandwich.



Overall, these cookies were very tasty and unique. They'd make a nice addition to a tea party. I didn't think of it at the time, but adding some toasted pecans or walnuts to the filling would probably have made for even tastier results.

Whether served alone or incorporated into a cookie, McQuade's Fig and Ginger Chutney is absolutely scrumptious!

0 red beans:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...