Friday, April 18, 2008

Friday Cocktail Time #4 - Frozen Gin Strawberry Cuke Arugula Cocktail aka "Two Papères Cocktail"

Friday, FRIDAY, F R I D A Y!!!



Oh, my! What have I started? I actually have people wanting to know what cocktail I'm featuring next Friday. WOW!

Friday Cocktail Time is a fun way for me to experience classic drinks and to experiment with my own new concoctions. Some of them will work out, and some won't.

My latest cocktail was an experiment that I created with the following in mind:
- I love strawberries and cucumbers together.
- I like herbs in my drinks and I enjoy alcohol that has been flavored with herbs.
- I love the spicy, grassy taste of arugula.
- As a child, Spring and Summer meant enjoying the bountiful fruits and veggies from both of my grandfathers' ("my Papères") gardens. Both grew cucumbers, one of them grew tremendous Louisiana strawberries, and the other grew tons of what we called, "roquette" (rocket, arugula, rucola). Now, you can see how I came up with the name for this cocktail.

Before I get on with the recipe, I'll take this time to plug the good ol' Louisiana strawberry. There is something about the Louisiana heat and soil that produces the juiciest, most beautiful, most flavorful strawberries known to man. If you have access to some, please use them in this recipe! You won't regret it.

Two Papères Cocktail (Frozen Gin Strawberry Cuke Arugula Cocktail)
In a blender or food processor, add the following in order:
4 oz Bombay Sapphire gin
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
three dashes Peychaud's bitters
1 Tbsp agave nectar (or more if the strawberries are not very sweet)
1 c strawberries (washed, dried, hulled, and halved)
2/3 c cucumber, peeled and cut into 1-in pieces
6 arugula leaves, washed and dried
1 1/2 - 2 c ice (if your blender or food processor is weak, try crushing the ice ahead of time)

Blend or process until mixture is blended and no large chunks of ice remain.
Serve in a cocktail glass and garnish with a strawberry.

Add a cointreau floater on top and drink up!

Yields 2 1/2 - 3 generous cocktails.



TASTING NOTES:
Hubby pronounced this cocktail, "salad-y", but also said that it was "growing on" him.

This recipe could still use some tweaks. I'm thinking of adding freshly cracked black pepper and changing up the ratios of strawberry to cucumber. Who knows? Maybe some Herbsaint will show up.

Overall, this cocktail is very cooling, refreshing, and tasty and would likely make my two papères proud!

There is a lot happening in this drink, so I do not recommend pairing it with food, with the possible exception of a bitter greens salad with a tart vinaigrette.

3 red beans:

Tobermory said...

Instead of trying to pair this with food, can I just put it in a bowl, drink it with a spoon, and call it supper?

Aw said...

Hi,
Saikat from BlogsJam here.
Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the
blog. we have 2 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget and a content widget
) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. pl contact me at saibose@gmail.com so that i can send you the slideshow widget for your blog.

thx-Saikat

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Tobermory,
Why not? Once it's in a bowl, it's food. And since it has fruit AND veg in it, it's health food!

;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...