Monday, April 14, 2008

Absorption Garlic Chive Whipped Potatoes

My standard method for making mashed potatoes is... pretty standard. I boil the potatoes, drain, put them through a ricer, then add skim milk, light sour cream, and/or lowfat plain yogurt and seasonings. I sometimes add butter, sometimes not. Sometimes, I turn them into whipped potatoes by whipping them in my Kitchen Aid mixer.

Recently, I found myself wondering why I don't just boil the potatoes in skim milk.
I googled 'absorption mashed potatoes' and found nothing, so I set out to experiment on my own.


The recipe worked out well. I didn't measure anything, so here's the general method.

Absorption Garlic Chive Whipped Potatoes

I peeled and diced about 1 1/2 lb of Yukon Gold potatoes, threw them into a non-stick pan and added skim milk to nearly cover the potatoes, but not quite. (The non-stick pot was a measure to prevent a cleanup nightmare in the event of scorching.)

I also added kosher salt and two large, smashed garlic cloves to the pot. I let the potatoes come to a gentle boil and continued checking them until tender. The potatoes absorbed all but 1/4 cup of the skim milk and were falling apart. I poured the whole mixture (garlic cloves included) into my mixer and whipped them until smooth. I added a knob of butter, a bit more salt, white pepper, and some freshly snipped chives from the garden.

All in all, this was an experiment with some pretty tasty results. Next time, I might add yogurt or light sour cream for the tang I usually get in my other version of mashed/whipped potatoes.

6 red beans:

Peter M said...

A neat, new approach to mashed, er whipped potatoes...I'll try it out!

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Thanks, Peter! Let me know how it works for you.

Geggie said...

Yum, potatoes, but that ham? Damn!

Gumbeaux Gal said...

LOL! Two of my friends said the same thing, Geggie!

Nanette said...

I might have to try this as soon as I can start eating soft foods again!

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Nanette, all of my recipes make lovely shakes. Just kidding! I'm wishing you a speedy recovery from your dental surgery!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...