Monday, March 31, 2008

Time for the Kitchen Container Garden!

It's official, I've finally finished the initial planting of my kitchen garden for 2008.

This year, I'm trying to get back to my family roots (haha!) of planting veggies. Dad and both of my grandfathers grew some pretty tremendous veggie gardens. I enjoyed shelling peas and beans with both Mom and my maternal grandmother. We'd sit in rocking chairs next door on my grandparents' porch or, if the weather was too hot, we'd take the operation inside to my parents' house or grandmere's kitchen.

I'm growing just a smidge of what my family grew over the years, but I hope to do them proud with my little kitchen garden!

I sowed some of the veggies from seed, and others as young plants. If all goes well, here's what we'll have...

Arugula
Beans – Blue Lake (bush bean)
Chives – Garlic, Common
Cucumber – Pickling
Flowers, Edible – Nasturtuim (Alaska Mix)
Herbs – Sweet Basil, Oregano, Mint, Cilantro, Parsley, Sage, French Thyme, Rosemary
Lettuces – Black Seeded Simpson, Lolla Rossa, Buttercrunch, Red Oak, Green Ice
Mache’
Melon – Chanterais (heirloom)
Pea – Spring Garden Pea
Pepper – Orange Bell, Sweet Banana
Radish – Red Globe
Squash – Papaya Pear
Strawberry – Picnic
Tomatoes – Pink Brandywine (heirloom), Beefsteak, Sweet 100 (cherry)
Zucchini – Slender Gem

I hope this inspires my friends, readers, and fellow bloggers to plant even a few seeds or plants for use in their kitchens this year. Food always tastes better when you know where it comes from.

0 red beans:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...