Friday, March 28, 2008

Friday Cocktail Time #1 - New Orleans Buck



It's Friday and what better way to kick off the weekend than with a cocktail.

Here's a cocktail with a New Orleans name -- New Orleans Buck. I'm not certain that this cocktail was created in New Orleans, even though many cocktails were created there. There are several variations on this drink, some with ginger ale and some without. (I prefer mine with ginger ale.)

It's possible that this cocktail is called a New Orleans Buck because it uses Peychaud's Bitters. Peychaud's Bitters were created by a Haitian immigrant, Antoine Amedee Peychaud, who came to New Orleans in 1793.

Although I enjoy all manner of other bitters, Peychaud's is my favorite. It's gentian-based and it is a must-have for another New Orleans cocktail, the Sazerac. It also livens up bean dishes, soups, and stews.

Now, that you know more about Peychaud's Bitters, try a refreshing New Orleans Buck cocktail. It's a perfect drink for Spring!



New Orleans Buck
1.5 oz light rum
.5 oz fresh orange juice (I used tangerine)
.5 oz fresh lime juice
3 healthy dashes Peychaud's Bitters
ginger ale
1 slice of lime

Fill a rocks glass with ice. Pour in rum and juices. Add bitters.
Stir, then top off with ginger ale.
Top with a slice of lime.

Drink!

1 red beans:

Geggie said...

Why have I never heard of it? I know I'd love it! YUM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...