Monday, March 31, 2008

Cane Syrup Glazed Ham



I am a savvy shopper.

Before I hit the grocery store this weekend, I had it in my head that there would be hams galore on sale, what with it being post-Easter weekend and all.

I was right! I scored a 6.38 lb spiral sliced, bone-in ham for $8.24, or $1.29/lb. The original price was $22.90, leaving me with a total savings of $14.66. Of course, this was no gourmet ham -- not on par with D'Artagnan or Nueske's. I was just after good savings and something fairly lean (for a ham) with less sodium (for a ham) than most. I think I got a good deal, and Hubby, one of those thrify, New Englander, yankee-types, agreed. :)

Once I got my deal-of-the-decade-ham home, I noticed a little brown sugar glaze packet bundled with the ham. Right then, I knew what I had to do -- throw the stupid glaze packet away and break out the Steen's 100% Pure Cane Syrup!

Cane syrup is a beautiful thing. It is thinner and sweeter than molasses and tastes both sweet and smoky at the same time. That sweet, smoky taste reminds me of my childhood, when my sister and I would chew on stray pieces of sugarcane that flew off of the cane trucks and landed by the side of the highway in front of our grandparents' house. You can read more about my memories of 'la roulaison', the agricultural burning of sugar cane here.

Not only does my glaze recipe use cane syrup, it also uses a few of my other favorite Louisiana products -- Red Pepper Jelly (mine comes from Rouse's Supermarket), Zatarain's Creole Mustard, and Zatarain's Root Beer Extract.



Cane Syrup Glazed Ham
1 1/4 c Steen's Cane Syrup
1 - 2 Tbsp Zatarain's Creole Mustard (use more for spicier glaze)
2 Tbsp red pepper jelly (use more for spicier glaze)
1/4 tsp Zatarain's Root Beer Extract
juice of 1/2 an orange or 1 tangerine
1 Tbsp brown sugar
freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
Spiral-sliced half ham (4 - 7 lbs)

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring to mix.
3) Reduce mixture by 1/3.
4) Wrap ham tightly in foil and place with cut side down in a roasting pan.
5) Bake for 15 minutes.
6) Pull foil away from ham. (It is unnecessary to remove the foil from the pan.)
7) Brush ham with glaze and return to oven to bake for an additional 45 minutes, brushing ham with glaze every 15 minutes.
8) When baking time is up, remove the ham from the oven and let stand for about 10 - 15 minutes before serving.

1 red beans:

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Wow, I have never had cane syrup straight before - sounds so good!

I also am a HUGE fan of red pepper jelly - that stuff is so heavenly!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...