Wednesday, March 12, 2008

BBQ Shrimp Po'boy





Nothing satisfies a hearty appetite like a good po'boy. Considering how much I love seafood, it's no surprise that my favorite po'boys are of the seafood variety, with shrimp being at the top of my list.

I do prefer the shrimp on my po'boys fried, but I'm trying to watch my waistline a little. I'll save the fried stuff for my next visit back to Louisiana (hopefully, this summer). Besides all that, a good bbq shrimp po'boy is actually quite tasty.



The bbq shrimp I like on my po'boys consists of olive oil, lemon, and lots of spices. It's drier and quite different from my other bbq shrimp recipe, which has beer and vermouth in it.

A little bit about po'boys...
Po'boys come one of two ways -- dressed or not. This generally means dressed with mayonnaisse ("my-nez"), iceberg lettuce, and tomato. Maybe pickles. Sometimes, in the case of seafood po'boys, the my-nez is swapped out for a very light spread of ketchup.

The po'boy bread is a high quality French bread from the likes of Leidenheimer's. It's got the perfect crust on top -- not too tough, though. It's nice and a little airy, but not overly so. (It is not that fake, overly dense stuff that you get in other states that is sold as French bread. Rant. Rant. Rant.) Anyway, it is cut lengthwise and is sometimes lightly brushed with a bit of butter.

A little bit about ordering po'boys...
When you order a po'boy in South Louisiana or New Orleans, the conversation will likely go something like this:

Waitress: "Whatcha gonna have, shugga/baby/chere?"
You: "I'll have the shrimp po'boy, please." (Nice manners!)
Waitress: "Dressed?"
You: "???????????????????????????"

This is a yes or no question. Please don't ever order your po'boy 'undressed'. I mean, don't even do it if you're on Bourbon Street, where undressing is generally an acceptable behavior. Trust me on this one.

Are you hungry yet? Good. Are you intimidated? Don't be.

BBQ Shrimp Po'boy
2 lb 31-40 shrimp, peeled, de-veined, and patted dry
2 tsp olive oil
Creole seasoning
cracked black pepper
Tabasco sauce
kosher or sea salt (if using salt-free Creole seasoning)
paprika
garlic powder
2 tsp lemon juice
1 French baguette, or 4 French rolls (highest quality and least 'doughy' you can find)
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 1/2 c iceburg lettuce, shredded
1 tomato, thinly sliced
ketchup or mayonnaisse

1) In a large pan that can go under the broiler or onto the grill, mix shrimp with oil, lemon juice, Tabasco, and all spices to your liking. Set aside in fridge for 15 mins.
3) Trim the ends from the baguette and cut into 4 equal lengths. (If using rolls, skip this step.)
4) Cut bread or rolls lengthwise, brush lightly with melted butter and set aside.
5) Grill the shrimp for approx 7 - 8 mins, or until done, tossing once halfway through cooking. (Alternatively, you can broil the shrimp in the oven. Sorry, I don't have an estimated cooking time for that.)
6) When ready to serve, place a thin layer of ketchup or mayo on the bottom halves of bread or rolls, followed by a pile of shrimp.
7) Place lettuce and tomato on top halves of bread or rolls, then place halves together.

Serve with oven fries (or real ones) and cold beer or a nice wine.

12 red beans:

Anonymous said...

OH MAMA!

(I can't really comment on the fig samwich thing cuz I just don't like figs)...but...

Shrimp Po' Boys!
YUMMY!!! Those pictures look great. I need to make 'em again.

My personal favorite is the fried oyster Po' Boy, but that's just me...

BTW...DWConway & myself both visited N'awlins for Mardi Gras in different years but we both had the same assessment of the po boys we had down there.

"This...is the perfect sandwich."

m2

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Do you know that many people refer to the oyster (that's pronounced, "ersta") po'boy as 'the peacemaker'?
'Nuff said!

I do like a good fried oyster po'boy if the oysters are nice and small and crisply-fried. I didn't get to trying one until I was an adult, though, because I didn't like oysters as a kid.

I know... disliking oysters is almost as hard to understand as disliking figs! :P

Notebooks said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Notebook, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://notebooks-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

This looks delicious! I went to new Orleans once and just fell in love with the place! There is no where like it on this earth! The food, the people, the sights the sounds!

This is a great version! I love Po'Boys but I too am trying to stay away from too much fried stuff, even though I love it. So this is just wonderful! I love your blog - such a great spirit to it!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Thanks, Jenn! I only recently discovered The Leftover Queen, so I have LOTS of catch-up reading to do.

I'm ecstatic about the Foodie BlogRoll and meeting new foodie buddies!

Thanks for stopping in. Do let me know if you try out the po'boy! :)

Gumbeaux

Bridget said...

That looks delicious!! I'm usually partial to a fried oyster po-boy dressed only with lettuce and hot sauce, but I will have to try bbq shrimp.

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Thanks, Bridget! Ah, yes. I forgot to extoll the virtues of hot sauce on a good fried seafood po'boy!

Can you believe that I didn't try a fried oyster po'boy until I was an adult? Such a shame to think of all the good po'boys I've missed. Sigh.

I hope you enjoy the bbq shrimp version!

Gumbeaux

Heather said...

I LOOOOVE shrimp po' boys. Good call. I bet a fried fig po' boy would be pretty good, come to think of it...

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Oooh! Heather from GildtheVoodoolily! I just discovered your blog. (I know... I'm slow!)

Oh dear! A fried fig po'boy? Now that should strike me as wrong, but it seems so right! :)

Gumbeaux

Peter M said...

I like you...you have about a dozen shrimp in that po'boy!

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Hi Peter!
Yeah, you've got to have enough shrimp for fallout -- it's the little bit of lagniappe that's left hangin' around after you've finished your sandwich!

Thanks for stopping by!

Gumbeaux

cookinpanda said...

Wow this looks truly fabulous. It's not even 7 o'clock in the morning yet and I'm starving, dying to try this.

I can't wait to read about more food from Louisiana. ...definitely a type of food that I'm really unfamiliar with making, but would love to start trying!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...